Kihei Boat Ramp

JonaBeth RussellJonaBeth Russell Registered Users Posts: 1,065 Major grins

Aloha Dgrinners!

Today I'm sharing a photo of Kihei boat ramp...a little spot on Maui's south shore where many adventures begin and end. Boats leave from this ramp to take tourists (and locals) on snorkeling, whale watching and fishing trips. It's a small spot, nothing fancy, just a ramp and dock. But it's one that I often enjoy photographing.

This image was taken with a Mavic 2 Zoom UAV, which features a telephoto zoom lens that can be operated remotely. Unlike my normal multi-image pano shots, this image retains what you'd see at the widest lens setting (24mm). However, it was captured by zooming to 48mm and splitting the scene into 9 photos (3 column, 3 rows).

I can see now that I'm going to be having way too much fun with this little drone!

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,764 moderator

Good Golly Miss Molly, That's some serious detail!!
    Lovely histogram with excellent color distribution. Moody skies.
    Wonderful harbour as the hero. Nicely accented by the city/mountains/sky.

Really, really well done and a great candidate for a ginormous print!

ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • JonaBeth RussellJonaBeth Russell Registered Users Posts: 1,065 Major grins

@ziggy53 said:
    Good Golly Miss Molly, That's some serious detail!!
    Lovely histogram with excellent color distribution. Moody skies.
    Wonderful harbour as the hero. Nicely accented by the city/mountains/sky.

Really, really well done and a great candidate for a ginormous print!

Mahalo Ziggy! I may have to print this one :smiley:

• black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,319 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2018

Terrific shot. I applaud your work with the drones.....gives me looks at Hawaii that I've never seen before.

Years ago, I shot a lot of video of the goings on at several local boat ramps. I got some of the most hilarious clips you'll ever see of inexperienced boaters trying to get their rigs in and out of the water.

I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins

cool shot

• kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator

Very nice! I'm not sure I understood your notes. Is this basically a pano of 9 exposures, controlled by the drone to mimic 24mm?

• toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins

Well done...

Indeed you are having too much fun... ;)

Rags
    edited September 5, 2018

@kdog said:
    Very nice! I'm not sure I understood your notes. Is this basically a pano of 9 exposures, controlled by the drone to mimic 24mm?

I did get a little wordy there...

This is a 9 shot pano, each shot taken @ 48mm, stitched into an image that would equate to a 24mm single exposure.

In short, the drone is capable of auto executing the Brenizer method.

• kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator

@JonaBeth Russell said:

This is a 9 shot pano, each shot taken @ 48mm, stitched into an image that would equate to a 24mm single exposure.

Thanks, that's what I thought. This of course is not an example of Brenizer, but of a straight multi-row pano.

@kdog said:

@JonaBeth Russell said:

Thanks, that's what I thought. This of course is not an example of Brenizer, but of a straight multi-row pano.

True, as I understand Brenizer requires a fixed focus on the primary subject, so as to create greater depth of field, yes?

@JonaBeth Russell said:

@kdog said:

@JonaBeth Russell said:

True, as I understand Brenizer requires a fixed focus on the primary subject, so as to create greater depth of field, yes?

Ryan Brenizer designed his method as a way to gain greater control over limited DOF, typically to create a very gradual bokeh transition. It was originally used strictly for portraiture, often for a single subject or two subjects.

An example from Ryan himself (from his archived page, "Brenizer Method")

Copyright - Ryan Brenizer, 2014

ziggy53

@JonaBeth Russell said:

I would rather call your image a "Highly Detailed, Arial, Stitched Scenic".

ziggy53

@black mamba said:
    Terrific shot. I applaud your work with the drones.....gives me looks at Hawaii that I've never seen before.

Years ago, I shot a lot of video of the goings on at several local boat ramps. I got some of the most hilarious clips you'll ever see of inexperienced boaters trying to get their rigs in and out of the water.

Oh man how I miss the freshwater boat ramp days!! I used to be an avid bass fisherman, getting on water at least 3 days a week, for years on end. But I'll tell ya', every single holiday, I left the boat at home and still went to the ramp for the exact reason you just stated. Good stuff!!!