Stunning early Ferrari

black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,319 Major grins

As they say, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. For my money, this 1948 Ferrari 166 MM is certainly one of the most beautiful cars ever made. It is simple elegance personified.

I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.

Comments

• toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins

Beautiful...

They were a lot of copycats over the years...

Rags
  • black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,319 Major grins

@torags said:

Beautiful...

You are right about the copycat stuff, Rags. A car of similar style to the Ferrari is the Austin-Healy 3000 series....particularly the Mark I, II, and III versions. They, too, are some of the most beautiful cars ever produced. A buddy here in Jax recently acquired a very nicely restored Mark III....purchase price scared the hell out of $100,000. ZOUNDS. I should Have struck years ago. Oh well.

I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • JuanoJuano Registered Users Posts: 4,878 Major grins

Would love to take it for a drive!

edited August 24, 2018

Removed to allow the Ferrari to breathe....

Rags

Geeeze, Rags. You really know how to hurt a car guy.

edited August 24, 2018

Rags
  • StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins

Incredible! Never seen that one before! Thanks for sharing Tom!

• RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,893 moderator

Another gorgeous car. You really know how to spot them, Tom. :+1:

@Juano said:

@Stumblebum said:
    Incredible! Never seen that one before! Thanks for sharing Tom!

@Richard said:
    Another gorgeous car. You really know how to spot them, Tom. :+1:

Thanks, guys, for the visit. I'm really pleased to share my experiences at some of these world-class shows with those who have an interest in such things.

• Wandering DaneWandering Dane Registered Users Posts: 542 Major grins

@Juano said:

Having driven a sister car to this one, I can tell you that - most likely - you'd be disappointed. Dainty car but doesn't drive like it.

Thanks for the visit. My experiences with some early Porsches mirrors what you say about this Ferrari.

• roaddog52roaddog52 Registered Users Posts: 1,323 Major grins

@black mamba said:

@torags said:

Beautiful...

You are right about the copycat stuff, Rags. A car of similar style to the Ferrari is the Austin-Healy 3000 series....particularly the Mark I, II, and III versions. They, too, are some of the most beautiful cars ever produced. A buddy here in Jax recently acquired a very nicely restored Mark III....purchase price scared the hell out of $100,000. ZOUNDS. I should Have struck years ago. Oh well.

To think I could have had an original, supremely kept, Mark III for $6700. in 1980. Missed that boat.
    Looking at that Ferrari, I now know from where, Chrysler got the grill design on the newer 300's

Phil

I don't know where I'm going, but I'm going anyway.

Luck happens when preparation meets opportunity!

@roaddog52 said:

@black mamba said:

@torags said:

Beautiful...

To think I could have had an original, supremely kept, Mark III for $6700. in 1980. Missed that boat.
    Looking at that Ferrari, I now know from where, Chrysler got the grill design on the newer 300's

Phil

Hey, Phil. While I've made my share of scores in dealing with collector cars, I've got to admit that I've blown a few cases that haunt me till this day. The one that stings the most was in 1981 when I could have acquired a Mercedes 300 SL Gullwing for $10,000. A nice example of one of those these days can easily exceed $1,000,000.

• Wandering DaneWandering Dane Registered Users Posts: 542 Major grins

In the mid-to-late 1980s, I was active in trading exotics and race cars. Made some fairly easy money but also had good ones slip away, like mentioned above. Some of those cars, at the time, were just old used up sport cars, not particularly interesting. How times change. Although Ferraris have always been special.

A couple of comments about your pictures of the 166.MM: the car looks relatively large - lens compression? - while, in fact, this car is tiny. Where were these pictures taken? Monterey? I notice that Glenn Mounger, now Chairman Emeritus of the Pebble Beach Concours, is visible in one of the shots.

edited September 21, 2018

@Wandering Dane said:
    In the mid-to-late 1980s, I was active in trading exotics and race cars. Made some fairly easy money but also had good ones slip away, like mentioned above. Some of those cars, at the time, were just old used up sport cars, not particularly interesting. How times change. Although Ferraris have always been special.

A couple of comments about your pictures of the 166.MM: the car looks relatively large - lens compression? - while, in fact, this car is tiny. Where were these pictures taken? Monterey? I notice that Glenn Mounger, now Chairman Emeritus of the Pebble Beach Concours, is visible in one of the shots.

You're right....the car is very small. The perception of its small size is enhanced when people are shown in close proximity to it, as in a couple of these shots. These shots were taken at the Amelia Island Concours D'Elegance. I used to catch the Monterey show on alternating years but I have scaled back my going to shows a little in the last couple of years.