Options

Maui Sugar Mill

JonaBeth RussellJonaBeth Russell Registered Users Posts: 1,065 Major grins

Aloha everyone,

After being rained out of a property shoot in Makawao town, I decided to take a little time in the sunny valley to play with the M2Z a bit.  My subject of interest was the old sugar mill, in Pu'unene, just off the highway south of Kahului.  HC & S (Hawai'i Commercial & Sugar) operated on Maui for 134 years, until it's shut down in 2016.  This was the last and largest producing sugarcane operation in the state of Hawai'i, providing jobs for over 650 employees.  

Today, the processing mill remains abandoned, with a few security personnel driving around in trucks and patrolling the area.  There's still a lot of valuable equipment just sitting to rot in the grass and dirt, somewhat of a sad sight to see, but ultimately a relic in the making at this time.  

Mahalo for viewing, enjoy!

Comments

• Options
    StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins

This is great! I get a feeling of being transported in time to 1960s or something! Super capture~!

• Options
    edited September 18, 2018

@Stumblebum said:
    This is great! I get a feeling of being transported in time to 1960s or something! Super capture~!

Mahalo for that, Taz! I have a few color versions, but they just didn't communicate the same feeling. Out of the color frames, this one I'm posting now is my favorite.

• Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,236 moderator

I'm probably in the minority but I have a strong preference for the color version of this photo. To me, the black & white photo is lacking details.

• Options

@denisegoldberg said:
    I'm probably in the minority but I have a strong preference for the color version of this photo. To me, the black & white photo is lacking details.

Aloha Denise, thanks for chiming in! I can see how the viewer can get lost in the details of either photo, really. The place is pretty much one hard rain away from being a total junkyard! lol

• Options
    roaddog52roaddog52 Registered Users Posts: 1,323 Major grins

Really nice capture! Every time I pass that place, I think, How cool it would be to get inside, wander around and capture all the shapes and rust.

Phil

I don't know where I'm going, but I'm going anyway.

Luck happens when preparation meets opportunity!
  • Options

@roaddog52 said:
    Really nice capture! Every time I pass that place, I think, How cool it would be to get inside, wander around and capture all the shapes and rust.

Phil

Just before the mill closed, the Maui Camera Club was granted guided entry to the place. They came away with some amazing imagery from that trip. I'm not a member of the club, so no invite lol.

• Options
    black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,321 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2018

Really nice shot, JonaBeth. Like Denise, I much prefer the color version.

Tom

I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.