" Tanker " Corvettes

black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,319 Major grins

From 1963 to 1967, the Corvette could be ordered ( option # N03 ) with a much larger gas tank totaling 36.5 gallons. During that five year production time, only a total of 210 cars were equipped with this option. The " tanker " option was really offered with racing in mind and, subsequently, most of those cars so equipped saw varying degrees of track time.

1)

2)

3)

I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.

Comments

• OrvSalOrvSal Registered Users Posts: 461 Major grins

Thank you for sharing some beautiful images of some fantastic Corvette racers! I love the older Sting Ray designs and the way these were modified. It reminds me of a different time of our lives.

Have a great day!
    Orv

Thomson, Ga. USA
    www.Osalisburyphoto.smugmug.com
  • black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,319 Major grins

@OrvSal said:
    Thank you for sharing some beautiful images of some fantastic Corvette racers! I love the older Sting Ray designs and the way these were modified. It reminds me of a different time of our lives.

I'm with you, Orv. I've always thought the '63 thru '67 models to be one of the most beautiful car designs ever. I bought a new '67 coupe with the 427 C.I. / 435 HP optional engine. It was a visual stunner....green with a white " stinger " stripe. And it ran like the devil was trying to catch it. As a daily driver, though, it had some drawbacks. It was noisy, rough riding, and hotter than hell in the cabin....you could not get air conditioning if you opted for the engine package that I had. Living in Florida, I knew that not having any AC would probably come back to haunt me. But a young dude full of piss and vinegar can put up with anything....right? I sold the car after about a year and 1/2.

I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
    edited October 4, 2018

I see where a 1963 Tanker ( 0ne of 63 made that year ) recently sold at a Mecum auction for $710,000. Gracious. Lord, if you'll just let me have back my old 'Vette, I swear I'll never curse at it again.

• OrvSalOrvSal Registered Users Posts: 461 Major grins

Agreed, I lived in Florida in the early 60's and had a few cars that I would have liked to keep. Seen some hot ones I would just drool over. I tried to catch up with a new Avanti once, tried to buy an MG TD, but did enjoy a nice 48 Ford coup and 54 Merc hardtop while I was there. Had fun driving on the beach at Coco beach and along the causeways to Merritt Island. Good memories.

Have a great day!
    Orv

Thomson, Ga. USA
    www.Osalisburyphoto.smugmug.com
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,762 moderator
    edited October 4, 2018

Lovely images of truly legendary vehicles!

ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums

Agreed, I lived in Florida in the early 60's and had a few cars that I would have liked to keep. Seen some hot ones I would just drool over. I tried to catch up with a new Avanti once, tried to buy an MG TD, but did enjoy a nice 48 Ford coup and 54 Merc hardtop while I was there. Had fun driving on the beach at Coco beach and along the causeways to Merritt Island. Good memories.

Gee, Orv, you sure we're not related? My older brother had a '52 MG TD and I've always thought that the '54 Merc was exceptionally beautiful.

@ziggy53 said:
    Lovely images of truly legendary vehicles!

Hey, Ziggy. Keeping in mind that tire technology has developed enormously since the '60's, I considered that driving my Corvette in the rain, with any sort of aggression, was tantamount to pursuing a death wish. In the wet, I got very adept at taking off from a stop by feathering the throttle in second gear.

• StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins

Wow! Amazing beauties! Thanks for bringing them to us Tom!

@Stumblebum said:
    Wow! Amazing beauties! Thanks for bringing them to us Tom!

You're welcome, Taz. I'm fortunate to be around the car scene quite a bit and when I see something that I think the car folks on the forum will enjoy, I post it up. I'm glad that there are some car guys ( and gals ) in our group.

BTW, I'm headed up to the Appalachian high country for a month. I sure hope to snag some neat winter-scene barns and old farm buildings. That stuff, like cars, really perks my interest.

Stay safe,

Tom

• StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins

Look forward to Appalachian high country shots.....
    Its fall....
    Maybe you catch "barns and farm buildings" with fall colors!~

• JuanoJuano Registered Users Posts: 4,878 Major grins

Beautiful cars!

@Juano said:
    Beautiful cars!

Thanks for looking in, my friend.