Options

Help with mobile workflow

jemostromjemostrom Registered Users Posts: 136 Major grins

I'm trying to figure out how to use link to images using my iOS devices.

What I imagine myself doing is writing something on my phone that I want to post on some site and use one of my images hosted on my smugmug site. This means that I want to either create a markdown image link or a plain html img tag with a link to a suitable size of my image. And I want to do this without using a web browser.

The Smugmug iOS app make it really easy to view my photos but I can't easily get a link to the photo (the actual image file not the page). Does anyone have a suggestion for how to get a link to the photo without using a browser?

Jan Erik Moström

Comments

• Options
    pilotdavepilotdave Registered Users Posts: 785 Major grins

When you say you want to do this without a web browser, do you mean a mobile browser? This is easy to do on a phone from your site using the share button. When you're logged in, you can get a link directly to an image.

I don't know a way that doesn't include a browser though.

Dave

• Options

Exactly, I don't want to use a browser at all.

I'm a bit surprised that I can't do this in the Smugmug app.

Jan Erik Moström
  • Options
    leftquarkleftquark Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,784 Many Grins

At this point most apps have an auto-expanding functionality that will take the Share URL obtained from within the app and be able to automatically extract/expand just the photo portion. There hasn't been a need to provide a link directly to a specific sized JPG because that's available from the normal URL to the photo. Additionally, other apps want the actual JPG given to them and not the link (say for example, Instagram, Flickr, 500px, wordpress mobile, Lightroom Mobile, Snapseed, VSCO, etc).

Many apps, and even desktop websites have realized the pain of having to embed code or image URLs and have come up with great interfaces for embedding content just by using the URL to them, so the need for having to build markdown code, BBCode, etc has really dwindled to just a trickle these days. We see the # of people requesting BBCode, or HTML code from the share panel is nearly 0 at this point. Most people are grabbing the lightbox URL's and sharing those with their friends and other tools.

With that said, I'd be curious to understand more about where your using these image links and what they expect to be given in order to show your photo so we can help come up with the best solution.

dGrin Afficionado
    Former SmugMug Product Team
    aaron AT aaronmphotography DOT com
    My SmugMug CSS Customizations website: http://www.aaronmphotography.com/Customizations
  • Options

I want to be able to write some text and include images without relying on the underlying system. I want to be able to use the same entry (i.e. how I write a text for online publishing) no matter where I publish it. For example: I write entries for publishing on wordpress sites, micro.blog but also for single page pages (just plain HTML and some CSS).

So ideally I would like to click a button to get a markdown image link (90% of what I write is in Markdown) to the photo ... with the desired size.

Jan Erik Moström
  • Options
    rbpattspmrbpattspm Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    The Byword iOS app gives you the ability to publish directly to a WordPress post (not pages or custom post types). It also publishes to Blogger and Tumblr but I have no experience with those. You'll have to embed links to your photos (hosted in Smugmug or anyplace else online) which you can write in Markdown. I've been using it for years and it works great.
  • Options

This was intended for use with systems in general, a significant part of what I write end up as static html files (after conversion from markdown). But I've decided to go with a "homemade system" instead.

Jan Erik Moström
  • Options
    rbpattspmrbpattspm Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    OK