Multiple Photos content block: rearranging?

jimhjimh Registered Users Posts: 140 Major grins
I have a sinking feeling that I'm going to lose on this one.

I'm new to SM and have in mind what must be a pretty common layout: a bunch of my best stuff on the home page, clicking on one takes to you the gallery its in. I set that up pretty easily using a Multiple Images content block.

But I celebrated too soon; it appears that there's no way to rearrange the photos in that block, or even add a new one at the top. Meaning that every time I want to add some new work to the home page, I have to rebuild it from scratch. Every. Single. Time.

I had to stop at that point, count to 10 and draw a couple of deep breaths. Then I told myself, this can't possibly be true, there has to be a way to re-sequence these images..

Isn't there?

Comments

• Hikin' MikeHikin' Mike Registered Users Posts: 5,448 Major grins

Unless I'm mistaken, you are correct. There is no re-arranging like is done in the Organizer.

• jimhjimh Registered Users Posts: 140 Major grins
    [sound of head thumping on desk]..
    edited October 6, 2018
    Ok once more on this. I found this text in SmugMug's Help for the Multiple Image content block:

"Note: If you select the "Photos I Choose" option, photos will appear in the order you select them. To change the order, you'll need to change the setting to "Selected" and then deselect and reselect as needed to reorder the images."

But I can't make sense of it. It seems to say I should change the content block's "Select From" setting from "Photos I Choose" to "Selected". But there isn't any "Selected" option for that setting.
  • denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,220 moderator
    edited October 6, 2018

@jimh said:
    "Note: If you select the "Photos I Choose" option, photos will appear in the order you select them. To change the order, you'll need to change the setting to "Selected" and then deselect and reselect as needed to reorder the images."

But I can't make sense of it. It seems to say I should change the content block's "Select From" setting from "Photos I Choose" to "Selected". But there isn't any "Selected" option for that setting.

As far as I know the only way that is available to reorder the photos in the multiple photos contact block is to deselect all photos and to reselect them in the order in which you want them to appear.

Leave the content block's "Select From" setting to "photos I choose".

• leftquarkleftquark Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,784 Many Grins

The ability to re-arrange photos in the Photos content blocks is still on the list of things I’d love to fix. Unfortunately we’ve had some bigger issues that have crept up and prevented us from tackling that. As others have pointed out, de-selecting and re-selecting in the order you want is the only option. It’s an awful experience, I know.

dGrin Afficionado
    Former SmugMug Product Team
    aaron AT aaronmphotography DOT com
    My SmugMug CSS Customizations website: http://www.aaronmphotography.com/Customizations
    edited October 8, 2018
    Actually I found a way to do this, sort of. Once you have an initial selection of photos, you can resequence them without having to start totally from scratch, i.e. hunt through your hundreds of photos in a dozen galleries to find the ones you want all over again.

Click on the content block’s Photos setting (i.e. “12 photos”) and you get a “Choose one or more photos” screen, showing all your galleries. Click the word “Selected” at upper right and get a vertical column of thumbnails of the photos you’ve already selected. De-select all of them by clicking on them one at a time, add any new ones you want, then re-select all the photos in the order you want. This doesn’t take long IF you know the sequence you want; make a mistake and you have to do it over.

Maybe this is what the Help text was originally trying to say, but the wording isn’t clear. It isn't the best, but it's much better than having to remove all the photos, find and add them again each time.
  • AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,008 Major grins

I leave the original page showing the old selections in one tab and open the page in a new tab. Now I can click to other tab and see what I had selected.

Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog