Dgrin Mini-Challenge #273 – THE MILITARY - RESULTS

GSPePGSPeP Registered Users Posts: 3,728 Major grins

Everyone, thanks for participating in this challenge.

Some comments:

Cavalier: Jo, I really liked the pictures from Castle Air Force Museum. I was there myself in 2011 and was impressed with the size of some of those aircraft. The B-52 and B-36 are huge. Another nice museum is at March Airfield. There you can get up close to the aircraft and even in the bomb bays of the B-52 and B-29.

Slpollett: Sherry, the ribbons are something special. A great way to remember your dad.

grandmaR: Nice pictures. You usually have a lot of older ones. I always find these very interesting. The Arizona Memorial is impressive. When you think of how many young men died during that attack.

BMW Kurt: Interesting to see these. An aunt of mine lived in Germany near Büdingen. There were huge US kaserns there (Büdingen, Gelnhausen, …) When I was young and visiting my aunt, we used to watch the tanks roll through the streets. Helicopters fly over, and I even got to watch an A10 practicing between the hills in that area.

Moose135: Great pictures. The Corsair is one my favorite WWII-era airplanes (together with the P-51 and Spitfire) It’ sometimes difficult to follow these planes, especially the jets when performing at high speeds. I saw the Thunderbirds once in 2007 at the Fairford (UK) Airshow. Impressive performances. Changing of the guard is always impressive. The discipline these soldiers have is sometimes hard to believe.

DavidRGillespie: Dave, also some great pictures. Nicely done with the medals of your father. The helicopter in Abbotsford reminded of the time I spent in Canada in 1989. Drove 4 weeks through BC with my brother in a VW camper with German license plates. A friend of his lived in Langley BC. Visited Vancouver Island where a relative of ours took us to look at the “waterbombers”. Was in the area of Port Alberni. We went from Victoria to Port Hardy, Inside passage by ferry to Prince Rupert and back down via Banf to Vancouver. (We also passed through Chilliwack)

Pegelli: Pieter, very nice picture of the Louise-Marie in Antwerp. The war graves with the dark sky show the exact mood one has when visiting these cemeteries. There are lot of these in Flanders. I’m following the series about WWI on Belgian TV. One cannot believe the effort they did to kill each other.

Kurzvorzwoelf: Nice to see some equipment form the “East”. The Stalinorgel was a simple but deadly piece of equipment. An uncle of mine who fought in the east during WWII said it was the thing they feared most. (My mother was German and she had several brothers who had to serve during WWII. Of her 4 brothers, only one did not return. He went missing somewhere in former Yougoslavia.)

Now for the results. It was difficult picking some favorites, but here we go:

3rd place: GrandmaR with the Arizona Memorial in Pearl Harbour

2nd place: kurzvorzwoelf with the statue “Rodina-mat in Volgograd

1st place: moose135 with Changing of the guard.

Comments

• BMW KurtBMW Kurt Registered Users Posts: 229 Major grins

Congrats to Moose135! Excellent choice GSPeP! (Also excellent choice in motorcycles. I ride a GS as well)

• lkbartlkbart Registered Users Posts: 1,912 Major grins

Congrats to Moose135 for the win! And congrats to kurzvorzwoelf and grandmaR for the places! Great comments and a great challenge Peter!
    Sorry I didn't participate - I didn't think the Nutcracker Brigade was the right kind of military. :smiley:

~Lillian~
    A photograph is an artistic expression of life, captured one moment at a time . . .
    http://bartlettphotoart.smugmug.com/
  • kurzvorzwoelfkurzvorzwoelf Registered Users Posts: 339 Major grins

Congratulations @moose135 and @grandmaR and thanks @GSPeP for running the challenge with great but rather difficult theme and also for considering my image for 2nd place! Kudos to everyone participating.

Wise words from the Dog of Wisdom: If your ball is too big for your mouth, it's not yours.

I'm here to learn and progress. Honest feedback and criticism on my images is warmly appreciated!

My SmugMug site - kurzvorzwoelf.com

• JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator

great running of a challenge @GSPeP . Sorry I didn't enter. I only had a couple images that would have qualified, and was going to post them on a couple occasions, but got called away from the computer both times, then forgot. So anyway, what I had didn't compare to the great images you chose. Congrats to @moose135 , @grandmaR and @kurzvorzwoelf for your placing. I look forward to seeing what you come up with @moose135 for challenge #274.

• pegellipegelli Registered Users Posts: 8,756 Major grins

Congrats to Moose135 for first place! Also congrats to kurzvorzwoelf and grandmaR for the 2nd and 3rd places!

And Peter, thanks for all the comments, that makes participating so much more fun :)

Pieter, aka pegelli
    My SmugMug
  • moose135moose135 Registered Users Posts: 1,413 Major grins

Thank you all, and congrats to all the others who participated, you had some outstanding photos! I should have the new challenge up later today or tomorrow morning.

• DavidRGillespieDavidRGillespie Registered Users Posts: 819 Many Grins

Thanks for the comments Peter @GSPeP . Glad you enjoyed BC. I have a couple of photos of the Mars water bombers in my archives but they just don't do justice to their size. They were quite the aircraft. Congratulations to all, looking forward to the next challenge.