Look to the Middle - a discussion of Composition

pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,694 moderator

https://youtu.be/sUFCQeSPVPw

comments and suggestions are encouraged

Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin

Comments

• RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,893 moderator

Interesting, and some wonderful images. Of course, one can easily find great images composed following the rule of thirds. And impressive work that follows no formula at all. It's all good, if it's good.

• pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,694 moderator

Richard, I am certain you know that I would never suggest only ONE way to edit or compose an image - but the video did have some lovely images - and not all of them were photos. Some were classic paintings, and some were even captures from movies or videos.

Like I always say, a professional always knows more than just one way to skin a cat.

• RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,893 moderator
  • kurzvorzwoelfkurzvorzwoelf Registered Users Posts: 339 Major grins

I think Richard captured the essence of my thinking about this quite well in that three sentences above. Personally, I came to the conclusion that most of the composition rules (thirds, golden ratio, etc) are rather technical rules. While those are required for technical good imagery that appeals to our eyes better, they are not necessarily required for great and inspiring art.

Anyhow, thanks for the video link (did you produce it?) - it was kinda refreshing for my mind. As someone who just recently started fiddling seriously with photography, I find myself too often trying too hard to follow the common dogmas. Time to think anew :-)

Wise words from the Dog of Wisdom: If your ball is too big for your mouth, it's not yours.

I'm here to learn and progress. Honest feedback and criticism on my images is warmly appreciated!

My SmugMug site - kurzvorzwoelf.com

I have nothing to do with the video nor with any of the producers of the video - I just enjoyed it and thought it informative and worth watching.

It did not strike me as anything but a pleasant suggestion by the producers.

I do like the images used for their argument. Painters have been thinking about composition for many many years and that always strikes me as something to respect..

Rule of Thirds I think of as a possible plan, not as a "Rule" that must be followed. I do think the "rules"of composition help us understand why some photos don't really seem to "work" sometimes, too

• redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins

I found this fascinating. Thanks for posting.

"But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com

I just reviewed the video again, due to your comments and I enjoyed it once again. Thanks for your comments.

The artists work used for demonstration images, are really excellent, as is the choice of artists used as well.

I will commit to consider this type of composition more often in the future.