Selfie Series

FiestaRedFiestaRed Registered Users Posts: 146 Major grins
edited October 30, 2018 in Landscapes

One of my "projects" has been to try and add a figure into the landscape to give an idea of scale. As I'm mostly out on my own, it's usually my figure that appears and it was far harder than I had imagined. Once you walk out in front of the camera, you have little or no idea of where you are in the frame and it usually takes two or three tries to get near.

This one was much easier as I only had the balcony to walk up to. It was taken in Scarborough in the UK at the Spa Complex which, at the early hour I had all to myself.

Comments

• kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator

Very nice, and great idea to use yourself as the model.

You mentioned the word 'series' in the title. What did you have in mind there? Where you going to post more of them in this thread, or was that a request for other members to add photos here?

• FiestaRedFiestaRed Registered Users Posts: 146 Major grins

Thanks for the comments.

After spending years as a full time wildlife photographer, I "discovered" landscapes and have tried to improve mine ever since. While on a recent break along the UKs East Coast I started what I called the Selfie Series where I put my figure or silhouette into quite a few landscape scenes, some worked and others didn't but it's something I hope to keep trying as, for me, it adds another dimension to my photography.

• StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins

Its sweet~ I think however, if couple of inches are taken off from top....the pano crop is more impactful and concentrates the elements in best way

Thanks for the advice Stumble, I'll give it a try.

• pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,694 moderator
    edited November 3, 2018

I like this image too, and the idea of including your self.

While I agree with Taz that there is a lot of blue in the top of the image, I find myself unwilling to relinquish the diagonal grey cloud to the upper right, and the tiny slip of a moon.

I might consider removing some of the dark foreground, though, below the puddle, as I don't think it offers as much as the blue sky with diagonal cloud and tiny moon.

I love the bright orange horizon and the complementary colors in the image!!

I am intrigued by the nice horizontal horizon and the apparent upward to the right slope of the ground in the image - not sure how that occurred unless the ground is truly rising there

Very nice image. 👍

Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin

@pathfinder said:
    I like this image too, and the idea of including your self.

While I agree with Taz that there is a lot of blue in the top of the image, I find myself unwilling to relinquish the diagonal grey cloud to the upper right, and the tiny slip of a moon.

I might consider removing some of the dark foreground, though, below the puddle, as I don't think it offers as much as the blue sky with diagonal cloud and tiny moon.

I love the bright orange horizon and the complementary colors in the image!!

I am intrigued by the nice horizontal horizon and the apparent upward to the right slope of the ground in the image - not sure how that occurred unless the ground is truly rising there

Very nice image. 👍

Thank you for the kind words and all the help. I have tried the image with a shorter, reduced foreground and it does help it quite a bit but if at all possible I would like to keep the sliver of moon that's showing. Really appreciate the help.

• pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,694 moderator

I agree with keeping that sliver of moon - Its a nice reward for the viewer's eye to find in that blue sky

Glad you found some use in my suggestions. 🙂

Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin