Kudzu's Revenge

black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,319 Major grins
edited November 4, 2018 in Other Cool Shots

Kudzu was introduced to our country in the very late 1800's. It was common in eastern Asia, primarily Japan. It was first envisioned as excellent ground coverage and a good source of forage for grazing animals, some was even considered for commercial cattle feeding ventures. None of that stuff panned out. We were left to deal with the most invasive plant on the planet. I mean this stuff can grow at a rate of 1 foot a day and it knows no boundaries.

The poor folks who lived in this enclave probably went to sleep and, during the night, the mighty kudzu made its move. If they we fortunate, they were able to make it down the mountain to stay with friends....who only had to deal with rabid squirrels and poison-spitting turkeys. Man, mountain life is not for the timid.

I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.

Comments

• StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins

Learned something new today......Thanks to Kuzdu! Cheers Tom!

• black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,319 Major grins

@Stumblebum said:
    Learned something new today......Thanks to Kuzdu! Cheers Tom!

I've seen entire hillsides covered with kudzu. The trees were just spooky forms as they were completely encapsulated by this plant. Everything you would normally see on a mountain side....rocks, etc....is completely engulfed and hidden. When you're standing on an edge of a scene like that and you look around.....well, it's really quite surreal.

See you, buddy.

I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • JonaBeth RussellJonaBeth Russell Registered Users Posts: 1,065 Major grins

Growing up in southern Appalachia, Kudzu was a way of life. We pulled it, burned it, plowed it, did everything we could to combat that nasty stuff. I've seen entire mountains covered, just as you, as well as barns, cars, houses...if it was parked for a year or more, it was covered!

Great photo, and loved the write up. Thanks for sharing!

• black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,319 Major grins

@JonaBeth Russell said:
    Growing up in southern Appalachia, Kudzu was a way of life. We pulled it, burned it, plowed it, did everything we could to combat that nasty stuff. I've seen entire mountains covered, just as you, as well as barns, cars, houses...if it was parked for a year or more, it was covered!

Great photo, and loved the write up. Thanks for sharing!

Thanks for the visit, JonaBeth. I sure wish I had the skills you've developed with your amazing drone work. I could then get deep into one of these massive kudzu-invaded areas and record some truly spectacular shots of an other-worldly scene.