Smugmug compatible Picture Frames?

guyguy Registered Users Posts: 191 Major grins

Are there any Smugmug compatible picture frames out there? Looking to get one for my parents in the UK (I'm in the US) that would access a specific gallery on my smugmug account? Ideally then I would be able to update and change photos for them.

Thanks.

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,764 moderator

I notice, on your SmugMug site, that you employ many different crops and aspect ratios to your images, which is good. (I do that too.)

If I should want to send a single picture frame and make it somewhat easy to populate with future images, I would send an appropriately large picture frame and then print smaller pictures with an appropriate mat/matte to fit the smaller picture to the larger frame.

Or are you asking for custom picture frame manufacturer recommendations?

ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,220 moderator

I suspect he is looking for a digital picture frame.

The only time I used one (in the past) I stuck an SD card in it.

• guyguy Registered Users Posts: 191 Major grins

Correct, sorry for the confusion I was talking digital picture frame. Ideally one that would connect to a single smugmug gallery that I would populate with the photos I wanted to show.

• denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,220 moderator
    edited November 7, 2018

I just did a web search for

digital picture frame internet connectivity

and came up with some options. Another keyword you might search on is "wireless enabled". I have no idea how well they work but a search like this might be a starting point for you.

I found some on Amazon that say they support "online providers". SmugMug is explicitly listed as one of the providers.
    Pix-Star 10.4 Inch Wi-Fi Cloud Digital Photo Frame FotoConnect XD with Email, Online Providers, iPhone & Android app, DLNA and Motion Sensor (Black)
    Pix-Star 15 Inch Wi-Fi Cloud Digital Photo Frame FotoConnect XD with Email, Online Providers, iPhone & Android app, DLNA and Motion Sensor (Black)

If there are two I suspect there are more.

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,764 moderator

Thanks, Denise. Great answer!

ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • guyguy Registered Users Posts: 191 Major grins

Thanks Denise.

• WinsomeWorksWinsomeWorks Registered Users Posts: 1,935 Major grins

@guy said:
    Thanks Denise.

Guy, I suspect you've already purchased one of these digital frames, but if not, I just wanted to mention my family's experience. We gave my parents that 15-inch Pix-Star which Denise linked. It's been really fantastic for them in almost every way, & I've even thought of buying one for myself to mount on a wall & just have it rotating family shots since we don't have a smart TV etc. So worth the $$. The best thing about that Pix-Star is that it has its own email address, & everyone in the family can simply email photos to it, & many days my parents will turn on the frame & have new photos of their grandchildren etc. It's great when they have company & want to show the latest family events. The Android app for it is usable too (sends pics from your phone to the frame), but for some reason sends low-res photos to the frame, so they end up smaller than if I email the same photo. Perhaps they'll improve the app at some point; the company is very responsive.

I also put a large (64 GB? I forget) SD card in the frame & put lots of photos on that. The fact that there's a website you can go to, & anyone can add photos that way will be handy too, once I get it set up better. And yes, I was able to get SmugMug galleries connected to it, which is excellent! So potentially we could simply drop photos into a certain SmugMug gallery & have them populate to the frame. The only issue I had with that is that it's hard to make that work smoothly & still keep my SmugMug password known only to me. But there's probably a way to do it, if I talk to the company reps.

Actually organizing the photos on the frame in any meaningful way is a little tricky, and there's a "randomize" option, but not a "random start" option. So if they're organized by date, for instance, viewers will get tired of seeing the ones early in the list, because every time they turn it on, it'll start from the beginning. So my parents have just kept the frame displaying photos in a completely random order. I tell people to put the month, yr, & caption in the subject line of any emailed photos, as that will then become the caption of the photo once it reaches the frame. That's been helpful, & the sender's email shows up too, providing more context. Anyway, I hope all that helps, for you & anyone else looking into this. Of course, all of the above assumes a Wi-Fi connection. I recommend the 15-in.-- that's a diagonal measurement & wouldn't want it smaller than that, especially for vertical photos. It has many settings such as fit screen, fill, etc, & lots of transition options, etc.

Anna Lisa Yoder's Images - http://winsomeworks.com ... Handmade Photo Notecards: http://winsomeworks.etsy.com ... Framed/Matted work: http://anna-lisa-yoder.artistwebsites.com/galleries.html ... Scribbles: http://winsomeworks.blogspot.com
    DayBreak, my Folk Music Group (some free mp3s!) http://daybreakfolk.com