Options

SMUGMUG SALES PITCH POPUPS

ParisParis Registered Users Posts: 126 Major grins

Well, it looks like SmugMug has decided to place popup ads selling crap like Chatbooks and greeting cards when I login to edit my website. I get it if this was Facebook but I pay for SmugMug and I don't want to navigate ads that they have placed on my Homepage.
I complained and have been told that I cannot remove them.
Turning to DGrin for a way to hopefully stop these popups.
I have made it clear to SmugMug that if they don't stop I am cancelling 'both' of my websites.

Comments

• Options
    FergusonFerguson Registered Users Posts: 1,339 Major grins

Where are these appearing. I just roamed around on my site, in organizer, in customize... nothing happened. I think I recall once seeing a popup. Once, twice... but like once a quarter max.

Is my memory bad, is this for certain accounts not others, have I just not hit the right place?

• Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,182 moderator

Never seen on mine either. Might have been an "Important Notice" message (small) a while back up in the top header when logged in, but never an ad-like popup.

My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    JtringJtring Registered Users Posts: 673 Major grins

I think I've had two now. They appear in a square (or maybe rectangular) box, maybe 300px x 300px -- so not small -- that pops up in the lower right corner of the screen when I open SM logged in. They make a little "pop" noise when they appear. They are easily dismissed. It's been a few days since I saw the last one and I've opened SM a fair amount since then. On that last occasion, the box had a small thumbnail picture of our very own Aaron plus some advertising text. If I see one again, I'll do a screen capture.

I agree, by the way, that SmugMug is out of bounds when they say Ads and Spam: Zip, Zero, Zilch, Nada when describing the various pricing levels and then go ahead and push their own.

Jim Ringland . . . . . jtringl.smugmug.com
  • Options
    Hikin' MikeHikin' Mike Registered Users Posts: 5,450 Major grins
  • Options
    moose135moose135 Registered Users Posts: 1,417 Major grins

I've seen a few of those in the lower right, and like David said, they are usually announcements about SM services. You may see it as "advertising" where as it is simply a way to let users know about new and updated features in the service. And I do run AdBlockPlus, and see them.

• Options
    JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator

hmmm...the only pop up I see at the bottom of a page is "back to the top" with an arrow. LOL! However, the only time I see SM advertise new things is in my email box. And occasionally I will have to resign-in and they might announce some updated things, but since I keep logged in, I only see them when they force a sign in. About once a month if that much.

• Options
    TeachTeach Registered Users Posts: 320 Major grins

We want to let all of you know that the decision to use the in product notification pop up for the Chatbook promotion was a mistake on our part. From here on out we intend to use that spot only for important product announcements. We do apologize for not using the product notification pop up as we normally use it. Thank you for bringing it to our attention and speaking up. We mean it when we say "Ads and Spam: Zip, Zero, Zilch, Nada " on your site. This was a mistake and we are moving forward and don't plan to do that again.

Heather
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    JtringJtring Registered Users Posts: 673 Major grins

Thank you. I really appreciate this last message ... and appreciate the corporate (and personal) courage and integrity behind it.

Jim Ringland . . . . . jtringl.smugmug.com