A Few Images From the Central Highlands of Iceland

pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,694 moderator
edited November 3, 2018 in Landscapes

After returning from Greenland in September, our workshop continued on into central Iceland and crossed central Iceland from the south central area of Iceland to the north Central area - this area is closed to vehicle traffic 7-9 month of the year, due to snow and ice.

The road is a maintained unpaved road with out any bridges over the volcanic gravel and rocks. Our vehicle had the typical 40-45 inch tires seen on Icelandic off road vehicles to allow for crossing rivers up to three feet deep. The road itself was fine for most 4WD SUVs but the river crossings really would not allow many stock vehicles to make the trip

We passed up on the western border of Vatnajokull National Park. The skies were cloudy, grey and frequently filled with mist or rain from the nearby glaciers up higher above us to the east. The skies changed hour by hour - what was densely overcast in the morning could turn sky blue with nice fluffy clouds by afternoon.

As we left the highway and turned north into the highlands we came across the scene of shepherds herding their sheep across the river with snow capped mountains all around.

As we continued on our way we came to a valley with mist and rainclouds with mountains in the distance

Lava rocks and gravel were everywhere

The colors from black to green to red ( yes, real red ) were other worldly and that is the title of this pano - Other Worldly Pano Red and Green

I call this next image - Three Sheep in the Lava Field - Can you find the three sheep?

We also shot some B&W images, geyser fields, some Icelandic horses, and several waterfalls. My final image is of a waterfall that is seldom seen by most tourists - Koluggufer waterfall - it was snowing as we were shooting, how fitting in Iceland

Comments and criticisms are heartily suggested and will be listened to carefully.

Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin

Comments

• CornflakeCornflake Registered Users Posts: 3,346 Major grins

Wonderful images. Thanks for sharing them.

• StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins

Amazing captures Jim!~ #3 is Epic!

For #2 couple of bright rocks in bottom left corner.....drawing bit too much attention.....just a thought!

Thanks for bringing these to us!

Cheers!

• pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,694 moderator

Hi Taz, thanks for your suggestions. I prefer 4 and 5. I think 4 has to be seen very large to really appreciate the colors, maybe. Did you find the three little lost sheep in all that black lava in 5? I wondered how they survived out there.

Funny think about 2, I painted some light into that area in the lower left because it was too dark to start with - but yes, I see the rocks, and agree they could be dialed back a smidge. Thanks again!

• StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins

Hi Jim, both 4 and 5 are stunning. Problem with panos is that they end up shrinking.....you are right....it has to be seen big but I can't.....but of what I can see I love it.....especially the light kissing the peaks in #4 and the different colors of the hills....can't find no sheep though!

I thought they might be bigger if clicked on, but I see that's not true.

The sheep in image four are the three white dots at the center of the base of the big lava mountain, and right between the two bumps in the center of the base as well. The only three white dots in the image. Strange place for livestock I thought.

• dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins

Wonderful adventure and images, Jim

• kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator

National Geographic called, they want that first image. :open_mouth:

Seriously, Jim. Just fabulous imagery, all of them. Good to see more of Iceland than the usual waterfalls and ice sculptures. Who knew there was such diversity there.

Thanks for posting.

Thanks, Joel. It really was an interesting trip - we had several days of rain and wind, but also some days of lovely light. It was challenging to capture at times, due to the sheer scale and enormity of the scenes. I hadn't really thought of it the way you mentioned, but you're right, it was not the usual waterfall, ice beach trip. More like a long drive across across a colorful lunar landscape.

• Lille UlvenLille Ulven Registered Users Posts: 567 Major grins

Beautiful collection, @pathfinder :smile:

https://www.lilleulven.smugmug.com - The Photos of my travels
  • denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,220 moderator

Wonderful photos! My favorites are the first and the last.

Thank you, Lille, so much. I have greatly enjoyed my travels in the northern latitudes. I hope to continue to tour the high arctic areas.

Thank you Denise, too dark and too black in the lava field images? More typical Icelandic scenes in the first and last, snow covered mountains, sheep and waterfalls, I mean?

@pathfinder said:
    Thank you Denise, too dark and too black in the lava field images? More typical Icelandic scenes in the first and last, snow covered mountains, sheep and waterfalls, I mean?

The first grabbed me with a combination of the landscape and the (tiny) people visible in the image. The last was a combination of the snow and the waterfall.

Looking again, I really like the Other Worldly Pano Red and Green.

I think I would like to see the third image from a little further back.

Your photos make me realize that I need to get back to Iceland. My one trip there was solo and using a "regular" rental car so the territory you covered was out of reach for me.

edited November 16, 2018

I have several alternatives to number three, both single frames and a few panos - maybe this might be more what you have in mind - dark lava under heavy overcast and some rain can be challenging to capture

@pathfinder said:
    I have several alternatives to number three, both single frames and a few panos - maybe this might be more what you have in mind - dark lava under heavy overcast and some rain can be challenging to capture

That's it! I agree that the conditions are difficult but you did a great job! I like the feel of this one.

• bfluegiebfluegie Registered Users Posts: 736 Major grins

I think my favorite is the Otherworldly Pano. I really like your name for it. If you had said it was Mars I would just ask how you liked the trip and say you did a great job photoshopping in a blue sky... ;)

~~Barbara

Black lava and red and green mountains - what's not to believe!

• shniksshniks Registered Users Posts: 945 Major grins

Great set - I have been wanting to visit Iceland for a while and this set reinforces that desire.

• PJPhotoPJPhoto Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
    That second shot is epic, makes me want to go back! Great set of photos :)