Alaska Coastal Brown Bears

MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins

I had the pleasure of spending a week this September in Lake Clark NP, Alaska to photograph the coastal brown bears. While it was the last week of the season, the experience was superb. I will never forget the experience with these bears and the wonderful guides who kept me safe while staring through the camera.

1. The plane landed on the beach and one hour later I was laying down on the sand watching this sow nursing her cub by the shore.

2. This was followed by a family stroll on the beach when we returned after dinner. This shot taken after sunset.

3. This was the end of the silver salmon run. Just a few stragglers were around. The bears worked hard to catch these last few fish before hibernation.

4. Fresh sushi?

5. This blonde bear was stunning in the nice light.

6. This sub-adult male put on a great show for us by splashing around but lacked the skills to catch any fish.

7. After a day of shooting, I returned to my cabin to freshen up for dinner. I hear a rustling next to the porch and this cub poked his head up from the bushes a few feet away from me. I quickly set down my tripod with the big glass and picked up the 70-200mm I had strapped on a second body around my neck to catch a few frames before he darted off.

8. Subadult checking us out at dusk.

9. Another nursing photo. I liked the pose and the environment on this one.

10. Tried to make the best of the lighting on this one.

Comments