Gimbal

joshhuntnmjoshhuntnm Registered Users Posts: 1,924 Major grins

Anyone use a gimbal for video? Any one you recommend?

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,765 moderator

Gimbal systems are designed for specific applications, mostly regarding loading capacity, i.e. the weight you need to mount on the gimbal. In addition to gimbal systems you may also wish to consider "steadicam" type systems.

Please tell us more about your needs, the intended application(s) and the type of camera/lens(es) you wish to mount on the system (specifying camera/lens weight, etc. ). Also, how much stability you desire, compared to hand-held.

Be aware that heavy DSLR cameras with large and heavy lenses may require extremely beefy and expensive gimbals, which also drive up the price.

ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
    edited December 13, 2018

For a different perspective of the gimbal discussion, I have decided not to use gimbal stabilization for either my video-dSLRs or my camcorders, simply because gimbals are awfully/terribly expensive for heavier equipment, they use batteries and there are alternatives. (Gimbals are also time-consuming to properly balance, but so are the alternatives.)

For smaller camcorders, which usually have their own built-in stabilization, I add a smaller tripod and (with the legs retracted and collected together) I grasp the tripod by the top of the head, allowing the legs to dangle underneath. If the camcorder doesn't balance on that setup, splay the tripod legs and extend legs downward as necessary to counteract the imbalance. You are looking for a balance between CG (Center of Gravity) and CP (Center of Pressure). I used this same method 20-years-ago, starting mith my Sony TRV-900, and it still works well today. See the following link for inspiration on the technique:

A Look at Using Your Tripod as a Makeshift Steadicam

For a heavier camcorder, simply use a larger/heavier tripod and adjust everything accordingly. Alternately you can use a smaller, but sturdy, tripod and add some weights to the legs.

For a dSLR system, a GlideCam 4000 seems to work nicely by the consensus of reviews and testimonials, as does the FLYCAM Redking. (The FLYCAM Redking is what I plan to purchase for myself someday, but I don't need it currently.)

For low-angle shots I have considered, but not really researched:

Attaching the camera inverted onto a monopod and inverting the video in post.
    ROXANT PRO Video Camera stabilizer (there are 2-versions) or similar
    Hydra Stabilizer DC+DV 2-Hand Grip bracket

ziggy53

P.S. I "do" plan on purchasing a gimbal for my action camera, a YI Technology YI 4K Action Camera (would also work with the 4k+ and 4k Lite versions).

YI Action Gimbal stabilizer for YI 4K, 4K+, and Lite Action Camera

At $200 it's pretty reasonable and would make a very compact kit for daytime/outdoor video, including MAPV (Mast Aerial Photography and Video).

ziggy53

This video makes a pretty good visual argument for the Moza Air 2 gimbal, to handle heavier cameras and lenses.

DOES THIS BEAT THE RONIN S? | MOZA AIR 2 | review

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0gfm2dzaqw

ziggy53
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator

I just recently bought the new Benro Red Dog R1 to use with my Sony A6500. I specifically wanted something light and compact. Originally I looked at the Ronin S which would also handle my larger DSLRs, but the rather large size of these things plus the high cost turned me off. The Moza Air 2 above seems very similar to the Ronin. The Benro was cheap enough that I can always add a larger one later if I need it.

• JonaBeth RussellJonaBeth Russell Registered Users Posts: 1,065 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2019

I use a Zhiyun Crane Plus with a Sony a7rIII and decently heavy Sony GM 16-35 f/2.8. Handles it like a champ, plenty strong, I use it to film multimillion dollar homes, auto videos, weddings, pretty much anything really. If you're flying a larger camera, you might look at the Zhiyun Crane 2. Much more robust, but still not a 'major event' like the DJI Ronin. Plus, the Zhiyun gimbals hold their roll, pitch & yaw quite well, way better than any Ronin series (DJI) gimbal I've seen to date. All of the Ronin models thus far have proven to roll left and right, easily seen in property videos where straight lines are prevalent and command a steady horizon.

As for being time consuming to balance, I must disagree. They're quite simple to balance, I can have mine set up for any camera or lens that'll fit in about 5min. The batteries are long lasting as well. I can shoot for days without recharging.