Renaming Files in Smugmug

MannyManny Registered Users Posts: 148 Major grins
edited September 15, 2015 in SmugMug Support
Sorry if this has been answered before. I have used search extensively and all results are pointers to how you can do it in Windows or Mac [BEFORE] uploading... :D

Yeah, well, I know. And frankly, I can't upload all 120MB again... no way, too loooong.

Is there a Bulk File Rename feature? I can't find it...

(watch it be right under my nose)

Thanks

Comments

• jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2005
    Not that I know of
    Manny wrote:
    Is there a Bulk File Rename feature? I can't find it...
    I haven't seen one myself, but I'm wondering why you care what the filenames are on smumug. You can turn the display of the filename off if you want to and you can set captions or descriptions in bulk.

--John
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • MannyManny Registered Users Posts: 148 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2005
    jfriend wrote:
    I haven't seen one myself, but I'm wondering why you care what the filenames are on smumug. You can turn the display of the filename off if you want to and you can set captions or descriptions in bulk.

--John
    That is exactly what want to do is NOT DISPLAY captions, but instead display Filenames. I am wondering, why do you care about Captions when you can just use filenames?

Also, I like using the filenames for reference as the captions are not easily set in any sort of hierarchical form. If there is a way to copy the filenames to the captions and then edit those captions in some way that allows me lots of flexibility, I will do so

And to explain further, all the files I uploaded had some identifiable tag on my PC that I rather not show on the web (not that it is unacceptable or profane) and really do not want to have to re-upload just to fix it.

Cheers
  • jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited September 6, 2005
    You could try smugdav
    Manny wrote:
    That is exactly what want to do is NOT DISPLAY captions, but instead display Filenames. I am wondering, why do you care about Captions when you can just use filenames?
    Well, I'm not aware of any way to bulk set filenames. Maybe someone else will chime in with more info on that topic.

On your own hard disk, filenames matter a lot. Once an image is in smugmug, I'm not sure why a filename matters much at all. You can use either a caption or a filename to add a label to a photo and convey information to the viewer. We know Smugmug gives you bulk management tools for captions, but aren't aware of any such tools for filenames. Once an image is in Smugmug, both are just a visual label. Why not use the one that they do give you tools for and give up on the one that they don't give you tools for.

By the way, I just tried something you can experiment with. Using smugdav, I was able to rename an image. You can read about it here: http://www.smugmug.com/hack/webdav-overview. It says it does not support rename, but it actually worked when I tried it. If it does actually work, you could conceivably use one of the bulk renamers for your PC over smugdav.

Or, you could just fix the filenames on your PC and start a new upload before you go to bed and upload new copies.

--John
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • pratya92pratya92 Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited September 14, 2015
    how to batch rename files
    Hi,

I am using KrojamSoft BatchRenameFiles Tool as it is a powerful tool, that allows you to quickly rename all the files in a specified directory.

You can remove spaces, replace spaces with underscore, Uppercase/lowercase filename, add a prefix/suffix, remove/replace strings and also catalog files by adding an incremental number to the file name.

With BatchRenameFiles Tool, you can quickly and easily change the name, attributes of files/folders. It can sort file names by name, date, time. Supported preview mode of all changes before making them.

Thanks,
    Dorian Markich
  • leftquarkleftquark Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,784 Many Grins
    edited September 15, 2015
    You would have to rename the files on your computer and re-upload. Most of our customers prefer to use titles / captions embedded within the metadata and we've focused our efforts on tools for these.
    dGrin Afficionado
    Former SmugMug Product Team
    aaron AT aaronmphotography DOT com
    My SmugMug CSS Customizations website: http://www.aaronmphotography.com/Customizations
  • AceCo55AceCo55 Registered Users Posts: 950 Major grins
    edited September 15, 2015
    pratya92 wrote: »
    Hi,

I am using KrojamSoft BatchRenameFiles Tool as it is a powerful tool, that allows you to quickly rename all the files in a specified directory.

You can remove spaces, replace spaces with underscore, Uppercase/lowercase filename, add a prefix/suffix, remove/replace strings and also catalog files by adding an incremental number to the file name.

With BatchRenameFiles Tool, you can quickly and easily change the name, attributes of files/folders. It can sort file names by name, date, time. Supported preview mode of all changes before making them.

Thanks,
    Dorian Markich
    leftquark wrote: »
    You would have to rename the files on your computer and re-upload. Most of our customers prefer to use titles / captions embedded within the metadata and we've focused our efforts on tools for these.

Pretty sure the OP has figured it out or moved on - this is a 10 year old thread rolleyes1.gif
    (Don't worry - it catches me out too!)
    My opinion does not necessarily make it true. What you do with my opinion is entirely up to you.
    www.acecootephotography.com
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 23 Big grins

Hi , I been try a few things to rename file names and i hope that there is a way to rename the file names once uploaded to Smug Mug

And the reason , well , I am busy with the Digital Market Course by Google , and they highly recommend that you name your photo file names with what is the description of what is in the photo. This helps with search engine ranking and spiders can better optimize and deal with your photos as the spiders cannot extract a description of what is a Photos subject , and now they will have a written description although shorten in text that they can understand and use.

Its also a another layer of adding understandable content to your website .

Please let me know ( dont be nasty , just kindly explain ) if i have my wires crossed..

Thanks

Paul

• denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,220 moderator

@mongoose330 said:
    Hi , I been try a few things to rename file names and i hope that there is a way to rename the file names once uploaded to Smug Mug

I'm not aware of a way to rename the file once it is uploaded to SmugMug. You will need to rename on your computer and re-upload.

Are you using titles and captions for your photos?

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 23 Big grins

yes , i am using titles and captions.

for example , a photo of a yacht at sea.
    yachtseablue.jpg

I was told in no uncertain terms that i could not insert other parts to Google Analytics , they ask you to verify that you are the owner of the website by doing different methods , uploading a bit of code between two marker points , or uploading a file via ftp.I asked how i could and was stonewalled , but i eventually figured out a way.

What i am trying to say is anything is possible , this cannot be such a massive ground breaking issue to sort out , Its been asked for numerous times , so.. come on , spoil us , its almost Christmas

• pilotdavepilotdave Registered Users Posts: 785 Major grins

Google Analytics instructions can be found at the bottom of this help page: https://help.smugmug.com/track-views-of-my-photos-BycMgxwyEBf

You can't rename files on smugmug. It's been requested for years... Don't hold your breath waiting for this function to be implemented. It probably never will be. But the good news is that smugmug at least stopped renaming files like they used to, so your file names are preserved for Google to find.

Dave

• WinsomeWorksWinsomeWorks Registered Users Posts: 1,935 Major grins

@mongoose330 said:
    yes , i am using titles and captions.

for example , a photo of a yacht at sea.
    yachtseablue.jpg

I was told in no uncertain terms that i could not insert other parts to Google Analytics , they ask you to verify that you are the owner of the website by doing different methods , uploading a bit of code between two marker points , or uploading a file via ftp.I asked how i could and was stonewalled , but i eventually figured out a way.

What i am trying to say is anything is possible , this cannot be such a massive ground breaking issue to sort out , Its been asked for numerous times , so.. come on , spoil us , its almost Christmas

Hi, Mongoose--- I think when Denise asked if you were using titles & captions, she meant the fields available to you under each photo displayed on SmugMug. In other words, placing actual captions or titles such as "a yacht on the blue sea" under your photo should also help your SEO, etc. And that's the part your visitors will be looking at; not many folks will go to "info" & look at your filenames. Good luck!

Anna Lisa Yoder's Images - http://winsomeworks.com ... Handmade Photo Notecards: http://winsomeworks.etsy.com ... Framed/Matted work: http://anna-lisa-yoder.artistwebsites.com/galleries.html ... Scribbles: http://winsomeworks.blogspot.com
    DayBreak, my Folk Music Group (some free mp3s!) http://daybreakfolk.com