Options

Titles & Captions from Smugmug to Lightroom?

JCDossJCDoss Registered Users Posts: 189 Major grins

Is there a way to import changes to the Title/Captions or even keywords from Smugmug back into Lightroom?

Comments

• Options
    JtringJtring Registered Users Posts: 673 Major grins

Smug Syncback for Lightroom will move captions and titles back to the Lightroom plugin. It doesn't move keywords or other metadata. It flags the changes it's found and asks for a go-ahead before actually doing any updates, which is a nice check if you sometimes edit on both sides. The code is labeled as a beta, but it's been pretty stable for me.

SmugMug has some hidden beta features within their Lightroom plugin too. See this Dgrin thread from early 2017: https://dgrin.com/discussion/comment/2054582. (Read to the end for the current way to enable those features.) At least as of the time of the Dgrin thread, the behavior was a little different from the Smug Syncback. This tool can move keywords around too, which is a big plus. This tool takes the newer version of the caption (or whatever) and replaces the older version, whichever way that this. So think "newer-to-older", not "Smug-to-Lightroom" if you try it. It doesn't check back with what it's found before making the changes. That's faster, but there's no safety net if you made an mistake. My comments on this tool may or may not all be current: I've ended up using Smug Syncback since its behavior fits my needs quite well.

Note to the SmugMug folks: Smug Syncback used to be included on the Third-party uploaders, downloaders, migration tools, and utilities page, but now it seems to be gone. It's a helpful, working tool. What happened to the listing?

Jim Ringland . . . . . jtringl.smugmug.com