Dgrin Mini-Challenge #277 - Abandoned Architecture

CavalierCavalier Registered Users Posts: 3,030 Major grins
edited December 15, 2018 in The Dgrin Challenges

I am guessing that this topic may be fruitful since many photogs love shooting buildings or structures that are in a state of disrepair. For purposes of the mini, any type of building is allowed; the structure doesn't have to be historical or very old, but must be abandoned and uninhabitable by humans or animals (in the case of barns). If the structure has an interesting history or story - that would be a plus!

A couple of examples:

The Pflug Mansion, off Highway 395, Wa. John Pflug began building a family home in 1908 himself - hauling all materials from a saw mill about 10 miles away with only a team and wagon. He never finished his dream house and it has been vacant since 1921.

Adobe Doors - what is left of an adobe building in Hornitos, California and loved by local goats. Hornitos is now qualified as a Ghost town, although there are a few people still in residence.

The Murphy House in Hornitos, California - a favorite of local photographers through the years. Each year the structure seemed to take on a new personality as it slowly crumbled. I love this structure so much that I have my photograph hanging with a charcoal drawing and a watercolor (by local Hornitos artists) of the house in different states of disrepair. The charcoal and watercolor represent the house much better :smile:

Mini will run until **December 29, 2018 at 5pm, PST

**OUR UN-OFFICIAL GENERAL RULES
1. Have fun sharing and seeing what others share!
2. The host supplies a topic and you post 1-3 images. The host judges the winners (1st, 2nd and 3rd) and is not eligible to enter.
The 1st place winner then chooses the next topic, judges the winner and then passes on the baton to the new champion.
3. Any photo you’ve taken is eligible, regardless of when taken or camera used.
4. Any amount of post-processing is allowed. However, it is helpful if you list your camera and lens along with your photo.
You may comment on other contestant's images. If you want someone to leave you some critique or criticism, just ask within your post.
5. The winner has up to three days (72 hours) to begin a new mini-challenge, or the honor goes to the #2 finisher and so forth.
Guidelines:
1. Enter 1-3 photos and put them in a single post.
2. Either embed your image in the thread or, if you must, supply a link to it. Keep in mind, however, most people don't want to click to open photos hosted elsewhere (i.e. on your website).
3. Also try and resize your photos prior to posting so they're sized appropriately for viewing without having to scroll (~800 pixels on the longest side works best.)
4. Give each image you enter a title.
5. Enjoy discussion with members about their images, don't let this just be an entry thread!
6. When quoting a post change the IMG urls to a 200x200 size picture so it is clear your post is feedback and not another entry. (see here for help)
7. Don't be hesitant, share'em and enter!
Mini-Challenge pointers:
1. Upon winning a mini-challenge round your first step is coming up with a new theme, and start a new thread using the same format as others have used.
2. Make sure to notify the admin of this thread to update the main thread links with your entry thread.
3. Feel free to watch the thread as it grows or wait to the end time and look at all the entries all at once.
4. After the time/date has passed, then officially close the thread with a single post notifying everyone of the fact.
5. After you're finished judging start a new thread (again use the prior formats) and post your Winner and runners-up, it is important to have runners up in case the winner does not show within the 72hr window.
6. PM the winner with this info above and let them know they have 72hrs.
7. After the 72hrs and the winner does not show up, notify the next runner-up and post a message on the Winner thread of the fact.
8. Remember, if you're the Winner, you run the show.

Comments

• JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited December 29, 2018

Great challenge!

1 Independence Mine, Hatcher's Pass Alaska. This mine operated in the 1930's and 1940's during the last Goldrush of Alaska. It has since been donated to the state as a Historical site in the 1970's. This portion of the mines has not been kept up and is slowly disintegrating. The other structures, such as bunk houses and main dinning hall and kitchen areas, have been preserved for the most part, just on the outward appearance with occasional paint (about once every 10 years). The other structures cannot be entered by the public, except for the one building that has been made into the visitor office and gift shop. I do not know if our recent earthquake has damaged any of the buildings further, but I wouldn't be surprised if it has further destroyed this mining building here.

This is one of the bunkhouses I mentioned above, but don't consider it for the challenge (unless I cannot find other images! I will let you know before the close of this challenge).

Had to really dig for this next one. It was taken in 2005 when I got my very first digital camera. It was only 5 mega pixels (we've come a long way baby!) and was a basic point and shoot. It only lasted 3 months till I wore it out! However, this image came to mind when I saw these challenges. The house was in Idaho and is not longer there. I am guessing I will not have much else to post, as most of my images have been shown on these boards so many times already.

2 Totally Spent in Idaho

Ok I am switching up to this one I had forgotten about till I saw it today. This building found in Egypt, was made for apartments to sell to young males. What we were told, in the customs of Egypt, young males save up and purchase an apartment, then marry and live in the apartment with his spouse. Women cannot own realestate. If by chance they get divorced, the woman gets to live in the apartment. So these buildings are built and never finished, but the cost is so expensive, they cannot be purchased by the young men to finish them. Thus they sit abandoned. There were hundreds of these apartments. Yet there were just the same amount of homeless people (if not more), that I saw who lived under roadway bridges or in cardboard huts on the sides of the roads. It is unfortunate to see such poverty and wasted buildings that could have been used to house people. But with the current unrest in government there and the oppression that is squelching the country to becoming something better than what it currently is, it's really a shame.

3 Abandoned Construction

• CavalierCavalier Registered Users Posts: 3,030 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2018

Thanks for being the first to post, Joyce. I love the symmetry of the mining ruins and background mountains!

• DavidRGillespieDavidRGillespie Registered Users Posts: 819 Many Grins

Great Challenge, Jo. History and art :) I hope these are what you are looking for

1. An abandoned Haida longhouse, Anthony Island (S'Gang Gwaay), Haida Gwaii, British Columbia. The Haida occupied this location until the late 1800s,
      when a smallpox epidemic decimated the population, and the village was abandoned. The Haida were consummate builders in wood, and used a very
      lovely keyhole joint to support and stabilize the rafters of their longhouses

1. a homesteader's cabin near Green Lake, Cariboo Highlands, British Columbia. The Cariboo region is littered with these cabins. I am not sure of the history of this building.

1. This third one is probably not what you are looking for, but its a bit of a placeholder while I search the archives and local area for a more suitable abandoned structure. This
      building was likely always a storage shed. There is still some material inside the shed but I am not sure if anyone has the courage to retrieve it.

edited December 16, 2018

Thanks for posting, Dave. Interesting backstory on the Haida. And actually, your third photo does fit the mini - if it's not abandoned, it should be! :smile:

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 23 Big grins

Abandoned house in the Cape Farmlands/ I was in a gyrocopter

• pegellipegelli Registered Users Posts: 8,756 Major grins

Great theme, again the trouble for me was selection, too many to choose from.

Finally landed on two urban scenes and a ruined castle

1: Castle "Ter Elst" near Duffel, Belgium

2: Deserted harbour houses in Leuven

3: Back streets of Brussels

Pieter, aka pegelli
    My SmugMug
  • slpollettslpollett Registered Users Posts: 1,189 Major grins

I will have to go digging, but I do have this one of an old abandoned stone farmhouse.

I'm not sure what else I might have...
    Sherry P.

• BMW KurtBMW Kurt Registered Users Posts: 229 Major grins

1) Abandoned farm house near Spring Creek, North Carolina

2) Bryant General Store, Money, Mississippi. This was the store where Emmett Till allegedly whistled at a white woman in 1955. He was murdered for this a few days later by a group of white men.

3) Taylor's Chapel, Trout, Louisiana. This was my family's church in Louisiana. We still have and maintain a family cemetery behind this building, but the church has been abandoned for decades. Surprisingly there is no vandalism or graffiti.

• grandmaRgrandmaR Registered Users Posts: 1,942 Major grins
    edited December 24, 2018

I'm on a cruise right now so I'll just pick a couple

1) Montserrat houses overtaken by the volcano ash

2) The house next door - taking it down to build a modern house there

3) Cumberland Island

“"..an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered." G.K. Chesterton”

Today's the last day to submit entries, folks. The mini closes in about 12 hours.

Thanks!

• bfluegiebfluegie Registered Users Posts: 736 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2018

Almost, but not quite as last minute as usual...

1. Hudepohl Brewery, Cincinnati, Ohio

Cincinnati was known for its local breweries from the last half of the 19th century and through most of the 20th century. Unfortunately, most of them did not attempt to generate a national presence during the latter half of the 20th century and most of them are no longer in business.

2. Crosley Building, Cincinnati, Ohio

This building was built in 1928 and much of the styling is in the art deco mode. Most of that styling is on the front facade, and unfortunately, even with a 12 mm lens I could not do that justice because of the proximity of the buildings across the street. So I settled for the rear of the building looking forward toward the tower on the corner. The loading docks show where trucks could unload materials and load radios, appliances, and many more items. Possibly the Crosley automobiles were made here as well.

3. Ruins of Mayhew Lodge, Arizona

Not sure if this really qualifies since all that is left is one wall and the fireplace, but I'm going to go with it anyway. This is located just north of Sedona along the West Fork of Oak Creek Trail

~~Barbara