Pocket Wizard Flex and 580EXII Failure...

vdotmatrixvdotmatrix Registered Users Posts: 343 Major grins

Small local shoot.

(3)- 580 EXII

TT5-flex

AC3 on Canon 5dmark4

shoot wireless to canon profession software MBP

L478U sekonic flash meter

power everything up.

test lights and get exposure with lightmeter.

Take a calibraion shot...nothing happens...

fire from lightmeter- I just get a whimpy PPFFFT flash.

Comments

• vdotmatrixvdotmatrix Registered Users Posts: 343 Major grins

OH SNAP......I have the 5Dmark4.
    DO I need the TT6 to be able to use the flex?

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,764 moderator
    edited December 13, 2018

I believe that the Canon 7D and 7D Mark II do have optical wireless flash capability, using the camera body's flash as a wireless Master to fire remote optical wireless flashes, but I don't believe that the 5D Mark IV has that capability.

If you have a 580EX (original) or 580EX II that you can mount atop the 5D Mark IV then you should be able to use that external flash as an optical wireless Master for the remote flashes.

ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums

I should have just written you straight away instead of waiting for a response. I was able to attach a TT5 to the camera to get it to talk to the flashes, but it had a>30% failure to trigger rate during our annual holiday card shoot. limped by.... thanks for always helping Ziggy!!!

Here is PW response from earlier today:

Thanks for your email. It looks like you've seen the FlexTT6 so I'll make this short:
    For your 5D Mark IV, if you want TTL/power control/HSS, you will need to get a FlexTT6 for your camera. You only need one, as long as you update the firmware on your FlexTT5s, they'll work fine as receivers and you can still use the MiniTT1 on any older bodies.

You still can use the MiniTT1 or FlexTT5 on the camera in Basic Trigger mode, this will make it work like a totally manual radio (just like your Plus IIs):

To enable Basic Trigger Mode, connect the radio to your computer with a USB cable. In PocketWizard Utility, navigate to the "Misc" tab, then check "Basic Trigger Mode." Navigate back to the "Channel" tab, and select your desired Standard Channel. When you are satisfied, click "Apply Changes."

Note that in Basic Trigger mode all ControlTL functions are disabled, meaning that you will be unable to use TTL, remote power changes, or High Speed Sync/FP. You will need to adjust settings on the back of the flashes manually.

The important thing to remember:
    While the FlexTT5 can transmit on both ControlTL and Standard Channels at the same time, they can only receive on one or the other. So that means if you're using either a Plus II or radio set to Basic Trigger on the camera, you need to make sure to set any remote FlexTT5s to Basic Trigger as well or they will not hear the incoming trigger, they'll still be looking for a ControlTL Channel.

I was using my new tt6 wrong. The 5dmark4 is not compatible with the mini TT1. I used the AC3 on manual and automatic in C1 and the i used my Sekonic l-478dr in trigger only mode to control each flash in C2.

You have to have a TT6 on the camera to do all this....so now i am short one TT6....

I got a great deal on (3)TT6 demos from adorama for $99 each a few days ago and they are like new.....

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,764 moderator
    edited December 27, 2018

Thanks for the update and clarification on what PocketWizard products work compatibly with the Canon 5D Mark IV. Glad you got it sorted out.

ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums