RESULTS: Dgrin Mini-Challenge #277 - Abandoned Architecture

CavalierCavalier Registered Users Posts: 3,033 Major grins

This was one of the most difficult mini's I've had to judge. Not only were the entries full of interesting and well-done shots, the back stories were compelling and sometimes disturbing (exactly what I asked for). Thank you all for your entries - great job!

Some comments:
@JAG - I'll say it again, the satisfying symmetry of the collapsing mine nestled between the two peaks keeps me staring at this shot. And the story behind the abandoned apartment construction in Egypt - a case of construction gone wild coupled with poverty and rampant misogyny - interesting building/disturbing story!

@DavidRGillespie - Loved seeing the Haida Longhouse remains - it made me do a search on the Haida people and their architecture to see more of their story. The composition of your BW entry with the storage shed quietly decomposing next to that huge tree is wonderful.

@mongoose330 - Interesting shot of the sad little house in the Cape farmlands. And brave you flying over in a gyrocopter - were you piloting or a passenger?

@pegelli - Castle Ter Elst is still a beautiful structure, even though it is in ruins. And I love the BW shot of the Brussels back streets with all the graffiti and gaping window holes. (The Brussels shot was a little disturbing - I only remember the beautiful architecture of Brussels from living there a number of years ago :smiley: )

@slpollett - Lovely composition and colors in the farmhouse shot, Sherry.

@BMW Kurt - Your BW shot of the Bryant General Store in Mississippi and it's horrifying backstory is very well-done. The building turning so ugly befits its history. The Taylor Chapel on the other hand is a beautiful story along with such an interesting building - and all the windows are still intact!

@grandmaR - The Montserrat volcanic ash shot depicts Mother Nature's fury and is so relevant to today's volcanic activity.

@bfluegie - The Hudepohl Brewery and Crosley Building photos are excellent. The Crosley shot shows urban desolation in a dramatic fashion with the size of the large building, the many missing windows and empty bays.

The results:
THIRD PLACE: @BMW Kurt
Taylor's Chapel, Trout, Louisiana. This was my family's church in Louisiana. We still have and maintain a family cemetery behind this building, but the church has been abandoned for decades. Surprisingly there is no vandalism or graffiti. >

> "")

_**SECOND PLACE: **_ @pegelli
Back streets of Brussels

FIRST PLACE: @bfluegie
Crosley Building, Cincinnati, Ohio

This building was built in 1928 and much of the styling is in the art deco mode. Most of that styling is on the front facade, and unfortunately, even with a 12 mm lens I could not do that justice because of the proximity of the buildings across the street. So I settled for the rear of the building looking forward toward the tower on the corner. The loading docks show where trucks could unload materials and load radios, appliances, and many more items. Possibly the Crosley automobiles were made here as well.

Comments

• DavidRGillespieDavidRGillespie Registered Users Posts: 819 Many Grins

Thanks for the comments Jo @Cavalier. Congratulations to @pegelli and @BMW Kurt for the second and third and especially congratulations to Barbara @bfluegie for the win and an absolutely great, haunting image. Wonderful framing, and perspective.

• BMW KurtBMW Kurt Registered Users Posts: 229 Major grins

Thanks for the third place and comments on Bryant General Store. Congrats to @bluegie for the win! Looking forward to the next mini!

• JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited December 31, 2018

Thanks for a great running challenge Jo @Cavalier and for the comments about my entries. You did great at picking an awesome winning image. Congrats to @bfluegie for the win and to runner ups @pegelli and @BMW Kurt. Looking forward to the next challenge!

• bfluegiebfluegie Registered Users Posts: 737 Major grins

Wow, I'm kind of stunned. There were so many great images I was just hoping for a place, or even just some positive comments. Thanks for the great challenge Jo, it really got me working outside my normal comfort zone. The Cincy shots were new for this challenge. Congrats to @pegelli and @BMW Kurt for the second and third place images. Everyone had excellent and different takes on this theme and I really enjoyed looking at them.

Sorry for the delay in replying, but I am fighting a sinus infection. It probably wasn't helped much by going out in the rain to take pictures last Thursday. But I did get some really good skies. Maybe I should have stayed in... Nah. Right decision.

I will try to get the next challenge up tomorrow. I am working on a couple of different ideas so I should have something by then.

Happy New Year everyone.

~~Barbara
  • JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator

Barbara @bfluegie , hope you recover quickly from your sinus infection. Dealing with the same issues here too. Happy New Year to you too and to all here on Dgrin!

• sapphire73sapphire73 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 1,944 moderator

Congratulations to @bfluegie and to runner ups @pegelli and @BMW Kurt! And many thanks to @Cavalier for running this mini. I have been enjoying the past few challenges even though my other commitments have prevented me from participating.

Ready to start posting the 2019 list of mini-challenges. Happy New Year everyone!

• lkbartlkbart Registered Users Posts: 1,912 Major grins

Congrats to Barbara on the win! Lots of really cool images this round - wish I could have participated but nothing in my archives and no time. Nice mini Jo, great comments!

~Lillian~
    A photograph is an artistic expression of life, captured one moment at a time . . .
    http://bartlettphotoart.smugmug.com/
  • pegellipegelli Registered Users Posts: 8,774 Major grins

A well deserved win Barbara, congratulations. Composition, colours and processing all contribute to a very nice photo!
    Congrats to Kurt for 3rd place and thanks to Jo for my second place, running another very nice mini and all the extra comments on all the entries.

Pieter, aka pegelli
    My SmugMug