Ton of Walton

StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins

This light house in Santa Cruz harbor. About an hour drive for me. Not sure why I have gone back to this spot so often. I guess if there is good weather, and I don't have chance to go far, I end up here. Below are my efforts.

1) Waiting on Sun

2) Harbor Buoy

3) Early Rider

4) Beacon & Cheese

5) End of a Journey

6) Return Home

7) Blue Crush

8) Golden Beacon

9) Happy Travellers

10) Illuminated

11) Father's Day

Comments

• David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,167 moderator

Well, geez! I can't pick one best because they're all best. You're a lighthouse stalker, aren't you?

My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins

Thanks David! Hah! I think as much time I spend on coast, at some point people are bound to get suspicious! My first trip to this spot, I didn't think there was much there.......live and learn! Cheers!

• kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator

Capitola Parking Authority called. That haven't seen you in a few days and wanted to know if you were alright. :open_mouth:

Just kidding. Love these!!

• kurzvorzwoelfkurzvorzwoelf Registered Users Posts: 339 Major grins

Taz, you delivered again! All of these are fantastic, but my two favorites are #4 and #7 for their sheer dynamics.

Thanks for sharing!

Wise words from the Dog of Wisdom: If your ball is too big for your mouth, it's not yours.

I'm here to learn and progress. Honest feedback and criticism on my images is warmly appreciated!

My SmugMug site - kurzvorzwoelf.com

• PJPhotoPJPhoto Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
    You got some stunning shots here with beautiful conditions and compositions. I don't like the superimposed boats etc (apologies if I'm wrong here - seeing sharp boat on a long exposure of a moving sea hurts my brain) but that's just a personal thing.
  • denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,220 moderator
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,764 moderator
    edited January 8, 2019

Almost a full calendar of great images!

ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums

Thanks K-dog, Kurz, PJ , Denise and Ziggy! I am humbled and overjoyed with your support. Yes, the boat were shot with higher speed to keep them sharp but they were there.

Cheers guys!

• CornflakeCornflake Registered Users Posts: 3,346 Major grins

There's some wonderful work here, Taz! Thanks for sharing them.

• black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,319 Major grins

Mighty fine, brother, mighty fine. You may have driven me from the photographer ranks. My personal shrink suggests something perhaps a little less demanding.....tiddly-winks, or maybe tick-tack-toe.

I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.

Tom and Don, thanks kindly. Love your work and kind comments!

• JonaBeth RussellJonaBeth Russell Registered Users Posts: 1,065 Major grins

Taz!!!! These are remarkable! LOVE LOVE LOVE the people elements, thank you so much for including them. Such a lovely set, there's no way I could choose a favorite. I'm a fan of the images with the boats, and love that you were able to get just enough shutter drag to blur the water a tad. Nice work my friend!

JBR, thanks kindly! The people element is what I learned from you! Cheers m8!

• toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins

Excellent... you got great sky... all treated well...

Rags

Thanks kindly Rags

• roaddog52roaddog52 Registered Users Posts: 1,323 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2019

Another stunning set of images. I always look forward to, and enjoy your post.
    As to the question of why we keep going back to a place multiple times, often it is convenient, often there is something compelling that pulls us back time and time again. Frequently our best work comes from these places, because we are familiar, and have an idea of what we want to accomplish.

Phil

I don't know where I'm going, but I'm going anyway.

Luck happens when preparation meets opportunity!
  • JuanoJuano Registered Users Posts: 4,878 Major grins

I'm late to this thread, wonderful work! I agree with the comment of sharp birds or boats on blurry water. Having said that #1 and #7 are outstanding!

Thanks Phil and Cristobal! Appreciate valuable insight about same spots. I know Cristobal, need to be more consistent with story. Cheers!~

• redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins

There is nothing not to like about this set - truly stunning images! The first one is pretty, well, perfect!! Lighting, composition, color, movement, stars of multiple types, and birds to show size and context. I think this belongs on my wall!! Exceptional collection!

Lauren

"But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com

Many thanks Lauren! Cheers!

• pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,694 moderator

What a great set, Taz!!

I love the colors and the flow - they're all really great!

Just one question - how wet did you and your camera get in #4 and #7?

Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
    edited January 29, 2019

Thanks kindly Jim!

Yeah, I let wave run me over for #4....it was not high enough to risk gear but the bigger danger was that beach always causes tripod to sink after the wave.....and I wasn't sure if exposure would be in focus or shaken or what....its only way to get that one....

For #7 for sure, its a shower! Canon claims their equipment is weather sealed.....so far so good!

Cheers!

• BrodyBrody Registered Users Posts: 252 Major grins

I'd like to give you some critical feedback, but I can't. As far as I am concerned they're all great. I'm annoyed that I didn't know that this lighthouse existed. I spent a year at Fort Ord and have been to Monterey about a dozen times since then. Well, now I know, so the next time I go I'll be heading to Santa Cruz with my hopefully waterproof Canon, tall boots and a long rain slicker in hand.

Thanks for sharing!

Travel & Landscape Favorites at JohnBrody.com / Facebook / Blog / JohnBrodyPhotography.com
    ________________________________________________________________________________________________

Thanks kindly Brody! Yeah, I learned about it not too long ago! Monterrey is a great town and I lived there for 4-5 years I think! Cheers!