Dgrin Mini-Challenge #278 - The Four Seasons

bfluegiebfluegie Registered Users Posts: 736 Major grins

I’m not sure if this has ever been done before, but if so, I don’t think it has been done recently. So, here goes. What I would like to see are photos that cause the viewer to immediately think of the season in which they were taken. I know that depending on where the photo is taken that the seasons may vary within the calendar, so I am not going to be particular about matching up the date to the season.

Here are a few examples. I’m sure that everyone will come up with better, but it’s what I have.
Winter, Frozen Waterfall in Indiana:

Spring, Tulips:
Tulip Bed at Foster Park in Fort Wayne Indiana

Summer, Splashpad Fun:

Fall, Changing Colors at Cataract Falls Indiana:

Mini will run until **January 21, 2019 at 11pm, EST
**OUR UN-OFFICIAL GENERAL RULES
1. Have fun sharing and seeing what others share!
2. The host supplies a topic and you post 1-3 images. The host judges the winners (1st, 2nd and 3rd) and is not eligible to enter.
The 1st place winner then chooses the next topic, judges the winner and then passes on the baton to the new champion.
3. Any photo you’ve taken is eligible, regardless of when taken or camera used.
4. Any amount of post-processing is allowed. However, it is helpful if you list your camera and lens along with your photo.
You may comment on other contestant's images. If you want someone to leave you some critique or criticism, just ask within your post.
5. The winner has up to three days (72 hours) to begin a new mini-challenge, or the honor goes to the #2 finisher and so forth.
Guidelines:
1. Enter 1-3 photos and put them in a single post.
2. Either embed your image in the thread or, if you must, supply a link to it. Keep in mind, however, most people don't want to click to open photos hosted elsewhere (i.e. on your website).
3. Also try and resize your photos prior to posting so they're sized appropriately for viewing without having to scroll (~800 pixels on the longest side works best.)
4. Give each image you enter a title.
5. Enjoy discussion with members about their images, don't let this just be an entry thread!
6. When quoting a post change the IMG urls to a 200x200 size picture so it is clear your post is feedback and not another entry. (see here for help)
7. Don't be hesitant, share'em and enter!
Mini-Challenge pointers:
1. Upon winning a mini-challenge round your first step is coming up with a new theme, and start a new thread using the same format as others have used.
2. Make sure to notify the admin of this thread to update the main thread links with your entry thread.
3. Feel free to watch the thread as it grows or wait to the end time and look at all the entries all at once.
4. After the time/date has passed, then officially close the thread with a single post notifying everyone of the fact.
5. After you're finished judging start a new thread (again use the prior formats) and post your Winner and runners-up, it is important to have runners up in case the winner does not show within the 72hr window.
6. PM the winner with this info above and let them know they have 72hrs.
7. After the 72hrs and the winner does not show up, notify the next runner-up and post a message on the Winner thread of the fact.
8. Remember, if you're the Winner, you run the show.

~~Barbara

Comments

• JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited January 22, 2019

This is going to be another great challenge! Here are my 3 entries.

1 Winter ( this is a fresh image)

2 Autumn

3 Autumn 2

• bfluegiebfluegie Registered Users Posts: 736 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2019

Thanks for getting the challenge started Joyce @JAG. These are excellent examples. I didn't say, but the entries don't have to be for different seasons, but that does make the challenge more interesting. If someone wants to post all three from the same season, that's OK with me.

~~Barbara
  • CavalierCavalier Registered Users Posts: 3,030 Major grins

Good mini topic, Barbara! Here are my three:

Fall in Hope Valley, Ca

Winter in the Sierras:

Spring in Lewiston, Idaho

• sarasphotossarasphotos Registered Users Posts: 3,822 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2019

I've been going back and forth on how to approach this and today's weather clinched it for me. I'm limiting my shots to two seasons, Fall and Winter, and with a further limitation - as shot from our balcony. Actually, that's hardly a limitation. We have to good fortune to live on the very edge of the city forest/nature preserve and "our" meadow and birch trees treat us to a symphony of colors and moods throughout the year.

1) Taken 15 minutes ago - snowstorm!

2) Three weeks ago - morning frost on the trees.

3) November morning.

Great entries Jo @Cavalier and Sara @sarasphotos. These are great examples of photos representing the seasons. Jo, I really like the crisp feel of the Sierra winter. I used to go to Yosemite several times a year when I lived in California and it brings back some memories. And Sara, I really envy your balcony view. What a great take on the theme to have three very different photos from the same location. Great idea.

~~Barbara
  • sapphire73sapphire73 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 1,942 moderator

Lovely theme! I have so enjoyed these mini-challenges but have been too busy to participate. Hoping to jump back in a few months.

Thank you all for sharing these gorgeous photos!

• pegellipegelli Registered Users Posts: 8,756 Major grins

What a nice theme, I'm sure we'll see a great variety of very diverse shots that will make judging difficult, but I'm sure Barbara is up to that challenge.

Here's my entries:

Spring (near my front door):

Summer (Bretagne, France):

Winter (Lapland, Finland):

Pieter, aka pegelli
    My SmugMug
  • DavidRGillespieDavidRGillespie Registered Users Posts: 819 Many Grins

A wonderful topic Barbara! Looking at all the images so far, I keep hearing echos of Vivaldi's Four Seasons in the back of my mind.

1. Spring (in my garden)

1. Summer (at a local lake with Granddaughter)

1. Fall/Autumn (Trembling Aspen near Merritt, BC)

• grandmaRgrandmaR Registered Users Posts: 1,942 Major grins
    edited January 13, 2019

I have been thinking about this for a bit. I can easily get fall, winter and spring, but summer is a problem. The best photo for summer that I've seen is one my dad took so I can't submit it for the mini, but I'm going to post it here. I didn't take it obviously because I am in it. I am on the right, and my sister is in the middle. On the left is our fourth cousin
    Summer - 1954 in North Carolina

Working backward through the year

1. Spring

2. Winter Tracks in the snow

3. Fall In Vermont

“"..an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered." G.K. Chesterton”
  • grandmaRgrandmaR Registered Users Posts: 1,942 Major grins

@sarasphotos said:
    I've been going back and forth on how to approach this and today's weather clinched it for me. I'm limiting my shots to two seasons, Fall and Winter, and with a further limitation - as shot from our balcony. Actually, that's hardly a limitation. We have to good fortune to live on the very edge of the city forest/nature preserve and "our" meadow and birch trees treat us to a symphony of colors and moods throughout the year.

I love this idea (and the photos)

“"..an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered." G.K. Chesterton”
  • sarasphotossarasphotos Registered Users Posts: 3,822 Major grins

@grandmaR said:

@sarasphotos said:

I love this idea (and the photos)

Thanks, grandmaR!

• schmadschmad Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins

Nice Photos!

• schmadschmad Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins

Winter

• roaddog52roaddog52 Registered Users Posts: 1,323 Major grins

Some really wonderful images.

Summer, Red Ants Pants Music Festival

Spring, Hector's pal.

Winter, Ice fishing Montana style. Dailey Lake, Park County

I don't know where I'm going, but I'm going anyway.

Luck happens when preparation meets opportunity!
  • lkbartlkbart Registered Users Posts: 1,912 Major grins

1 Bluebonnet Season in Texas

2 Cold Bayou in Louisiana

3 Winter in the Flint Hills

~Lillian~
    A photograph is an artistic expression of life, captured one moment at a time . . .
    http://bartlettphotoart.smugmug.com/

Oops. I typed a closure post but apparently forgot to click the "Post Comment" button. I'm finishing the results now and should have them up later today. Sorry about the goof, but things really are still moving along.

~~Barbara