Homepage photos not fitting on mobile browsers

net1994net1994 Registered Users Posts: 269 Major grins
edited January 17, 2019 in SmugMug Support

Hello All - I have a slideshow setup with fading to the next, on my homepage. However one issue is that many photos I pick aren't shrinking to fit the screen. The photo is centered in it's original size and everything else around it you can't see. On a computer desktop, it shows perfectly in it's size. I do have 'Shrink' option set on my home page settings. Is there something I'm doing wrong or need to add some CSS in (and if so, I don't know what CSS code needed)? I'm thinking if I downsize the home page photos, then it might look better. But then it would look worse on a desktop monitor.

Thanks! See my example below:

Candy For Your Eyes @ Paint By Pixels

http://www.paintbypixels.com

Comments

• Hikin' MikeHikin' Mike Registered Users Posts: 5,448 Major grins

It's going to center/crop monitors based on size. Here is a screenshot:

You can see it's cropping your image to fit my 1920 monitor. That's the way it works.

• net1994net1994 Registered Users Posts: 269 Major grins

@Hikin' Mike said:
    It's going to center/crop monitors based on size. Here is a screenshot:

You can see it's cropping your image to fit my 1920 monitor. That's the way it works.

So it sounds like you're saying I can't have it both ways? If I downsize it show properly for mobile, it will then for desktop users it will take the 'tiny' photo and stretch it to the desktop resolution looking horrible? I was thinking the smugmug would make it a little bit smarter than that? An option to select difference sizes to show based on the operating system. Smaller for android, iOS. Larger for desktops.

• Hikin' MikeHikin' Mike Registered Users Posts: 5,448 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2019

How do you suppose that image is going to fit on a mobile? You are trying to fit a large landscape-format image to resize a mobile that are portrait-format by default. Same thing about trying to "fit" a 8 x 12 image into a 8 x 10 frame. Something has to give.

• net1994net1994 Registered Users Posts: 269 Major grins

@Hikin' Mike said:
    How do you suppose that image is going to fit on a mobile? You are trying to fit a large landscape-format image to resize a mobile that are portrait-format by default. Same thing about trying to "fit" a 8 x 12 image into a 8 x 10 frame. Something has to give.

Yes, you are right. After the original post, I was thinking I could still kind of have it both ways. I'll just find some of my better/best pictures where the subject and draw is at the very center of the pic. This way desktops will show how I want it and then on mobile, they will still see the 'meat' of the picture to have the same impact as computer users, even if some of it is cropped out to fit. I'll have to do some experimenting until I find something that works.