Serengeti, Tanzania

shniksshniks Registered Users Posts: 945 Major grins
edited December 28, 2018 in Wildlife

Hi all,

I just returned from an awesome safari in the Serengeti. I don't think I have ever seen so many Wildebeests and Zebras (tens of thousands, as far as the eye could see). Got lucky and saw plenty of cheetahs, lions, leopards etc.). I also went to Ngorongoro crater and while I enjoyed the landscape, I didn't find the crater as enticing from a wildlife perspective. The animals were too far away and I think I was just spoilt after being at the Serengeti. Some images below (all shot with the Nikon D850 and the Sigma 150-600 Sports lens).

Thanks for looking.

Cheers,

Comments

• kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator

Man, you had a veritable cheetah fest there, Nikhil. The light and pose in that first shot is devine. The lion in the 5th shot is a favorite too.

Funny, I had pretty much the opposite experience as you. I got my best shots in the crater, but the Serengeti central area was also very good.

Looks like you had a great trip. Did you get out to the Ndutu area? I think it's calving season there for the wildebeasts sometime around now.

• StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins

Wow! Stuff of dreams!

• RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,893 moderator

Terrific set. The first is my favorite, but they're all fine work.

• shniksshniks Registered Users Posts: 945 Major grins

@kdog said:
    Man, you had a veritable cheetah fest there, Nikhil. The light and pose in that first shot is devine. The lion in the 5th shot is a favorite too.

Funny, I had pretty much the opposite experience as you. I got my best shots in the crater, but the Serengeti central area was also very good.

Looks like you had a great trip. Did you get out to the Ndutu area? I think it's calving season there for the wildebeasts sometime around now.

Hi Joel - it was pretty incredible. I had done the Masai Mara a few years ago during December too and had been disappointed due to the paucity of animals that time. But that was because they had already migrated into the Serengeti. This time around I couldn't believe how many animals we saw in the Serengeti. The calving season is going to start in January or so and we missed that. The Ndutu area had started to get some Wildebeests, but was sporadic. I definitely want to return during that season. The only negative about the trip was how long it took to get anywhere. We also had my sister's kids (two sets of twins - 8 and 6) and they go tired of being in the car a lot. So I want to go alone (or with some photographer) the next time so we can get out early morning etc.).

Was pretty magical.

Cheers,

• shniksshniks Registered Users Posts: 945 Major grins

@Stumblebum said:
    Wow! Stuff of dreams!

Definitely was - it was great to see these animals in their own habitat. The song from 'Born Free' echoed in my mind.

@Richard said:

Thanks Richard. The first is definitely my fave too. I have many more of Cheetahs that I need to process.

Cheers,

• MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins

Wow, really nice set. #1 is my favorite here for sure.

• denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,220 moderator

My favorites are the first and the last two.
    The second from last captures a sense of play.

• Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins

Lovely captures of magnificent creatures

Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • JuanoJuano Registered Users Posts: 4,878 Major grins

@Richard said:

I agree the composition is terrific.

• DavidRGillespieDavidRGillespie Registered Users Posts: 819 Many Grins

This is a wonderful set of images. The lighting is superb. I particularly like the third from last (the lioness and two cubs). The family story in the image is great.