Contest submission - Please comment

redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
edited January 19, 2019 in Other Cool Shots

I am entering a photography contest, with the wide-open category of "Color." These are the three I selected, plus a fourth that I was on the fence about. (I would have to swap #4 for one of the others.) Some of you have seen at least one of these before--my favorite shot of a Texas Hill Country river. I don't have much new work so had to comb my archives for some good choices. Comments are requested and appreciated. Thanks, Lauren

1 - Autumn Meditation

2 - Dancing at Dawn

3 - Morning on the Frio

4 - Watching

"But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
www.redleashphoto.com

Comments

• JuanoJuano Registered Users Posts: 4,878 Major grins

My favorite of the set is #3, I like #1 but the trees feel chopped on the top, the reflection is wonderful though. I also like the #2 and #4, but I'm not sure if they relate well to the theme of the contest.

• WernerGWernerG Registered Users Posts: 534 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2019

Number 3 for me also. I would have liked the lowest reflected tree to not have been cut in number 1. With the color reflected in the water, I'm not sure you need the trees themselves. I guess I'd pick number 4 over number 2 for it's warm sunset tones.

PS, I seem to have lost control of the font size. None of the menu items show font. Now I'm really confused. What did I do to reduce the size on this line.

Moderator edit: It was placing the # sign next to the numeral forcing the text into an HTML mode making the font size huge. Kinda tricky with the built in editor in these posts interpreting what we usually type resulting in something we don't usually expect.

• StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins

Wow wow wow wow wow! Epic set! I can see every single one blown up printed big and hanging somewhere! Bravo!

• David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,167 moderator

There is no bad image in what you have presented here. Hard to choose. Wow+1.

My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • WernerGWernerG Registered Users Posts: 534 Major grins

Moderator: Thank you for your explanation, got it.

• roaddog52roaddog52 Registered Users Posts: 1,323 Major grins

A beautiful set! They're all great, I'm partial to number two, the side light and that beautiful whitetail doe, is stunning.
    As for the contest, I think the first image best represents "Color" imho.

Phil

I don't know where I'm going, but I'm going anyway.

Luck happens when preparation meets opportunity!
  • black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,319 Major grins

I'm sure glad that you'll be spending more time with us. I do remember #3 and I think #1 as well. For the contest, I would drop #4. This is an excellent set, Lauren, and good luck

I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • CornflakeCornflake Registered Users Posts: 3,346 Major grins

They're all beautifully done. Given the theme of the contest, the deer is probably least likely to succeed, in my view, while numbers 1 and 3 are probably the strongest. Really enjoyed seeing these.

• redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins

Thanks y'all! I went with #1-3. I had wavered between 3 and 4 so went with my original plan. The deadline has passed so now we wait to hear if anything is chosen. #1 has been printed large - on canvas - and is hanging in our Maine cabin. The location is "somewhere in Maine" but for the life of me I can't remember where I found that stream. I don't know why I didn't look further into my archives before I printed, but I just found three other versions of #1. Too late for the contest or my living room, but I would appreciate your comments on the additional images. Image C is the original view - any thoughts on cropping, if needed? I like the water better in my #1 but C does show more of the trees like y'all suggested. Comments welcomed!

A.

B.

C.

"But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins

My recommendation would be to clip along the tops of the front trees and put a light blue sky along the top of #1

Just one man's opine

Rags