Moon test shots Nikon 200-500

JuanoJuano Registered Users Posts: 4,878 Major grins
edited January 20, 2019 in Other Cool Shots

Handheld ISO 100 1/80 sec 500 mm

Handheld ISO 100 1/100 500 mm

Comments

• WernerGWernerG Registered Users Posts: 534 Major grins

Remember at full eclipse you can lose up to 8 stops. I'm assuming that you are practicing for the eclipse?

• JuanoJuano Registered Users Posts: 4,878 Major grins

Thanks, on one hand I'm just trying to see how well the lens works. For the eclipse, if I'm up (it will happen at 3 in the morning here in Brazil...), I will use a tripod. I've shot three other eclipses and I agree the difference is light is huge.

• StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins

Nice! Cheers~!

• David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,167 moderator
    edited January 20, 2019

Yes, when it gets full red, the exposure needed to capture it is really tricky. You'll need quite high ISO's because you want to keep the exposure speed very fast. The moon moves very quickly in the sky - its full width every 2 and a half minutes. Tripod absolutely needed for the darkest shots, for sure. When I shot my full eclipse series in April 2014, I had no idea how dark the red moon would get. Sure learned a lot, and almost failed to get it.

Are you trying to get the full 5+ hour sequence?

May your skies be clear. Going to be extremely cold here at 5 degrees F (or less). I'll likely be skipping this one due to that.

My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky

Thanks for the tips. I'm not sure if I will be able to make it up until 3 am though...

• GattoGatto Registered Users Posts: 413 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2019

WOW very sharp for hand held ....if you consider the distance of the Target, and the minimal movement at the origin results in several miles of travel at the target
    Well done

@Gatto said:
    WOW very sharp for hand held ....if you consider the distance of the Target, and the minimal movement at the origin results in several miles of travel at the target
    Well done

Thanks, I'm loving this lens!