Options

Auto add to gallery? Newby alert

susandennissusandennis Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
I want to take a picture with my phone and have the Smugmug app send it to the Smugmug website (cloud) without my intervention. I get that I can set up a gallery and have everything auto upload from there but is there a way to have every shot my camera takes automagically get added to that gallery and, so, then auto uploaded to the cloud?

(I get that uploading is dependant on charged battery and working internet connection... I'm more focused now on how to get stuff into the gallery without having to do it manually.)
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    WinsomeWorksWinsomeWorks Registered Users Posts: 1,935 Major grins
    edited April 30, 2018

I'm sorry to see no one's answered your question after a week! Yes, there's a way to set up auto-uploads through your SmugMug app. It has its limitations, & there's no decent way to know for sure what got uploaded & what didn't, besides digging into your gallery now & then. Also, remember that galleries can hold a max of 5000 images. (and become pretty unwieldy long before that, depending on the gallery style such as SmugMug Style or Collage, etc) Anyway, your first job is to create the gallery (or galleries) you want your uploads to auto-upload into. I usually create a few at a time. I first used a numbered system for the gallery titles but have switched back to Months/dates, so in my Mobile Archives galleries, I'll have a gallery called something like: "Auto Uploads - April" etc.

Anyway, I can't tell you whether the iPhone app is different-- I have an Android (Samsung Note 5). In my SmugMug App, I go to "Settings" via that cog-wheel icon. You'll see various items-- Available content, Account, Sync, etc....scroll down to "Auto Upload - Automatically upload new photos and videos" . When you check the box, you'll be taken to your Folder / Gallery menu, & then you need to navigate to the gallery you want auto-uploads going into. Sadly, gallery titles don't wrap, so if you have long gallery titles that all begin with the same phrase, you may have a hard time choosing the correct gallery. When you've chosen, & get taken back to that "settings" menu, you'll be able to see the whole title. If it's not the right gallery, uncheck the box & then re-check it & you'll be taken to your galleries again & can choose the correct one. If you only want auto-uploading to happen over Wi-Fi, you'll need to check another box ("Sync over Wi-Fi only") in the Settings menu as well.

Some limitations that bug me are the following: The app can't be set to only upload only if over Wi-Fi and when charging. It's aggravating if I'm trying to make a video in my backyard (& in Wi-Fi) & auto-uploading starts up & eats up phone battery, etc. Or I'm traveling & need to conserve battery til I get to a charger... uploading eats a lot of battery power. The thing is, if I uncheck the "Auto" box & continue filming, it won't later go back & upload stuff it missed unless I manually find all the missed uploads & individually set them for upload. But for now, this is what we've got. Hoping it'll improve in the future. It would also be nice if you could choose to upload only photos, or videos too. Another issue is that I get error messages fairly often, meaning something couldn't upload, or didn't upload correctly. But there's no way to do anything about them, and no way to check them later against what's gotten uploaded to see if something got missed. In a 3rd-party app I once had, you could easily see the Auto-uploads history & know what had been uploaded. You'll find the SmugMug app is very bare-bones... few options & little is explained. But it does give some peace of mind to know that at least most of your phone shots will get uploaded when set to "Auto-Upload". So good luck, & please post back if you run into trouble!

Anna Lisa Yoder's Images - http://winsomeworks.com ... Handmade Photo Notecards: http://winsomeworks.etsy.com ... Framed/Matted work: http://anna-lisa-yoder.artistwebsites.com/galleries.html ... Scribbles: http://winsomeworks.blogspot.com
    DayBreak, my Folk Music Group (some free mp3s!) http://daybreakfolk.com
  • Options
    Guyver510Guyver510 Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    I've been getting a bit lazy in my organizing of pictures and have really enjoyed how other photo apps provide auto-upload w/o me having to worry about organization. I believe I'm using the latest iOS app and it doesn't seem to have an auto-upload option. Sync over wifi is one of the few options. Is this something we can expect soon?
  • Options
    Patoots2001Patoots2001 Registered Users Posts: 60 Big grins

I am on IOS as well with no apparent way to set an option to auto-sync iPhone photos (in Camera Roll) to Smugmug. I thought it was there at some point in time, although maybe in my Android days (~ 3 years ago). I could be wrong. I am also a Flickr member and Flickr has that option, but with the recent changes to the pro account in Flickr, I am looking at other options.

www.buckeyephotography.com
    The Official Photographers of Cleveland's Saint Patrick's Day Parade
    More Fujifilm gear than I care to mention.
  • Options
    JenuineJenuine Registered Users Posts: 155 SmugMug Employee

The iOS app doesn't have the auto upload feature to date. Android does. We continually are making updates to the iOS app though so stay tuned.

Jen
    SmugMug Support Hero