Cold Work.

WernerGWernerG Registered Users Posts: 534 Major grins

During the winter in Maine many lobstermen switch to scallop fishing, either adding a dragging rig to their lobster boats or by diving (no kidding). Dragging and diving are done on alternate days for safety, divers normally work near underwater cables or other obstacles where dragging is impractical. This morning (5 DegF (-15 C)) Captain Tarr's "Tarr Baby" was at the wharf swapping an old scallop dragger for a new one. The funny looking water is an icy slush blown in to shore by strong winds last night.

In with the new

Out with the old

Back to work - Note the swim platform on the stern. Captain Tarr does both dragging and diving.

Comments

• David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,167 moderator

Working in that weather gives me the chills, just looking at these. That second image says it all. Brrrrr.

My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • CornflakeCornflake Registered Users Posts: 3,346 Major grins

Very cool shots, and I'm glad I'm not there.

• JuanoJuano Registered Users Posts: 4,878 Major grins

Wow, that is hard work.

• kurzvorzwoelfkurzvorzwoelf Registered Users Posts: 339 Major grins

Can just agree, viewing this pictures make me freeze as well. Well done shots of great scenes!

Wise words from the Dog of Wisdom: If your ball is too big for your mouth, it's not yours.

I'm here to learn and progress. Honest feedback and criticism on my images is warmly appreciated!

My SmugMug site - kurzvorzwoelf.com

• WernerGWernerG Registered Users Posts: 534 Major grins

Thank you all for your kind comments.

• StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins

The last shot is great! #3 is awesome too, but it could use tad cleaning up on left side....there is white pole at bottom left edge, distracting and creating "busy" sensation......also there is some triangle shape object at the horizon also on left edge.... that is doing the same issue....
    Finally, if mine, I would work hard to get rid of the ropes....just leave the hook, idea being to make it less buys and keep focus on main subject....which is awesome! JMO. Cheers!

• willard3willard3 Registered Users Posts: 2,580 Major grins

Good set, Werner.

I was pretty sure that was a scallop rig. Lots of scallopers in the Bay of Fundy, too.

It is better to die on you feet than to live on your knees.....Emiliano Zapata
  • WernerGWernerG Registered Users Posts: 534 Major grins

@Stumblebum said:
    The last shot is great! #3 is awesome too, but it could use tad cleaning up on left side....there is white pole at bottom left edge, distracting and creating "busy" sensation......also there is some triangle shape object at the horizon also on left edge.... that is doing the same issue....
    Finally, if mine, I would work hard to get rid of the ropes....just leave the hook, idea being to make it less buys and keep focus on main subject....which is awesome! JMO. Cheers!

Thanks for the comments. I missed the stuff on the left edge so I cropped it in a bit, then I got close to 1:1 and decided to crop it square. It seems to fill the space nicely.

• CornflakeCornflake Registered Users Posts: 3,346 Major grins

The crop is an improvement.

• StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins

Powerful!

• JuanoJuano Registered Users Posts: 4,878 Major grins

@Cornflake said:
    The crop is an improvement.

I agree, well done.