White birds

CornflakeCornflake Registered Users Posts: 3,346 Major grins

Photographing birds isn't what I mostly do but it's an enjoyable change of pace. Criticism is always welcome and appreciated.

Comments

• WernerGWernerG Registered Users Posts: 534 Major grins

These are beautiful. The first looks fierce.

• denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,220 moderator

I love the level of detail in the feathers in both photos - but the first is my favorite!

• David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,167 moderator

Really nice portrait of the Snowy Egret.

My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • JuanoJuano Registered Users Posts: 4,878 Major grins

The detail and shape of the feathers in #1 is great!

• CornflakeCornflake Registered Users Posts: 3,346 Major grins

Werner, Denise, David, Cristobal, thanks to all of you for the comments. The egret looks fierce, the goose looks dubious about the photographer. :)

• kurzvorzwoelfkurzvorzwoelf Registered Users Posts: 339 Major grins

Yep, #1 looks like one fierce bird better not to be messed with :smiley: Really nice close up shots indeed. Second does look more like he's hiding his face in terms of "hey, don't shoot me".

Wise words from the Dog of Wisdom: If your ball is too big for your mouth, it's not yours.

I'm here to learn and progress. Honest feedback and criticism on my images is warmly appreciated!

My SmugMug site - kurzvorzwoelf.com

• StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins

Details and light are absolutely fantastic!

I have minor quibbles though.....

The out of focus twig in first one, pointing to left is creating tension between itself and the beak......not adding anything so zapping candidate.....
    The big fat out of focus stub on right is also zapping candidate. May have to fill up the twig it is sitting on if the fat stub is gone.....

I am not sure but on second one, the bg if darkened (would be hard to do), it might be better.......

Cheers Don!

• willard3willard3 Registered Users Posts: 2,580 Major grins

@Stumblebum said:
    Details and light are absolutely fantastic!

The out of focus twig in first one, pointing to left is creating tension between itself and the beak......not adding anything so zapping candidate.....

Cheers Don!

I agree with Taz on this. Nice whites on the Egret.

It is better to die on you feet than to live on your knees.....Emiliano Zapata
  • CornflakeCornflake Registered Users Posts: 3,346 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2019

kurzvorzwoelf, thanks for the comment.

Taz and Willard, I sincerely appreciate the feedback. I also didn't like tree that the egret was sitting on. Rightly or wrongly, I decided to leave it alone, but I'll reconsider cloning out the twig on the left. (I wish I could have gotten the egret to move to a better-looking branch but wildlife models are pretty uncooperative. :))

It wouldn't be hard to darken the second one. I thought I might already have darkened it too much. I'll try a little darker.

• StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins

Yeah, I have noticed the same thing, wild life do not seem to take our needs in consideration at all. In fact, every time I point my lens at them they turn away. How rude!

• redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins

I had the same reaction to the twigs in the first one, but the bird is perfect. Excellent detail and lighting. I like the bg in the second one as is--to me it is dark enough to provide the contrast with the white bird but not so dark as to look unnatural. I'd like to see your revision if you decide to play with that one.

Good work. Let's see some more.

"But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com