The Stalingrad Cat

kurzvorzwoelfkurzvorzwoelf Registered Users Posts: 339 Major grins

The following picture was taken at the World War 2 memorial site "Mamayev Kurgan" in the Russian city of Volgograd, formerly known as Stalingrad. I spotted this (probably) homeless cat roaming through the tourists, probably on the lookout for someone to feed her or for some leftovers. I followed her around for a while, and then she suddenly decided to be thirsty and drink from the site's central water baisin. The time frame for a picture was short, so I have this guy taking a picture of his pregnant wife in the background.

At first, I thought this couple would have ruined the picture, but after having looked at it for a while, I think it even adds something to the overall frame. There were a lot of people at that site that day, and everyone was taking pictures of something - most took pictures of the "Motherland Calls" statue (I have posted a picture in a different thread), some where taking selfies and some were taking pictures of their loved ones. And I was taking a picture of this stray cat, taking some sips out of the basin. And the cat? It didn't care at all.

As for some context, this is the baisin:

Wise words from the Dog of Wisdom: If your ball is too big for your mouth, it's not yours.

I'm here to learn and progress. Honest feedback and criticism on my images is warmly appreciated!

My SmugMug site - kurzvorzwoelf.com

Tagged:

Comments

• denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,220 moderator

I like the "cat drinking" photo. And I think you're right that the background couple adds interest and a slightly different focus to the scene.

• WernerGWernerG Registered Users Posts: 534 Major grins

I like the first very much. The scene is clearly "monumental" with its stonework and water basin but there are non-monumental things happening, a cat drinking from the pool, a couple photographing memories. Nicely done.

• kurzvorzwoelfkurzvorzwoelf Registered Users Posts: 339 Major grins

Thank you Denise and Werner. I actually tried to clone the two people out of the image before. But while that was technically possible (it's suprising how modern technology enables an amateur like me to do such stuff with a few clicks), I felt like it removed something from the story.

Wise words from the Dog of Wisdom: If your ball is too big for your mouth, it's not yours.

I'm here to learn and progress. Honest feedback and criticism on my images is warmly appreciated!

• toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins

Good thinking on #1 and a great capture well handled

Rags

Thanks Rags, much appreciated!

• JuanoJuano Registered Users Posts: 4,878 Major grins

@torags said:
    Good thinking on #1 and a great capture well handled

I agree, good capture.

Thank you Cristobal, glad you like it!

• redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins

Ditto to what has been said. Excellent!

"But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com

@redleash said:
    Ditto to what has been said. Excellent!

Thanks for takaing your time to view this post and your encouraging comment, Lauren!