A few photos from my New England 'Autumn Colors' trip.

BrodyBrody Registered Users Posts: 252 Major grins
edited January 29, 2019 in Landscapes

Comments and feedback appreciated!

A cove from my latest trip to New England, this one near Endicott College in Massachusetts

Another photo from New England trip - It's the Church / Town Square from the classic movie Witches of Eastwick. A wonderful little town...

Lighthouse Near Manchester-by-the-Sea. The "Lighthouse" was actually built as an observation tower to watch for submarines during WWII. An extremely well-informed owner of one of the houses you see confirmed it. Beautiful scene, and very friendly locals!

Thanks much, John

Travel & Landscape Favorites at JohnBrody.com / Facebook / Blog / JohnBrodyPhotography.com
________________________________________________________________________________________________

Comments

• kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator

Very nice. I think I like the middle one best. You have some excellent work on your website.

• StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins

2 is epic!

For number 1, if mine I would crop it just above the tree line.....it rocks then in my view.
    For the last one, FG has too many distracting elements.....I would crop it just above that black rock at bottom right edge....then it becomes cool with a diagonal splitting image in half.

Cheers Brody!

• RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,893 moderator

Hey John, good to see you posting again. I also like #2 best--wonderful light and color. I agree with Taz's suggestion for #3 and I would also rotate it a tad so that the lighthouse and flagpole are vertical.

• BrodyBrody Registered Users Posts: 252 Major grins

@kdog said:
    Very nice. I think I like the middle one best. You have some excellent work on your website.

Thanks much @kdog - I appreciate your note!

I've been away from Dgrin so long I must ask a question... I'm clueless on reply format - Am I supposed to put the @name thing on the reply and quote your note? I'm liking the way this forum is woking now and should learn how to use it correctly. I don't want to look like the newb I am.....

Travel & Landscape Favorites at JohnBrody.com / Facebook / Blog / JohnBrodyPhotography.com
    ________________________________________________________________________________________________
  • denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,220 moderator
    edited January 29, 2019

@Brody said:
    A cove from my latest trip to New England, this one near Endicott College in Massachusetts

Thanks for sharing these!

My favorite is the shot of Endicott College. I had to look up the location - I've never been there and it turns out it's pretty close to home. I will definitely add that to my wandering destinations.

@Strumblebum

You always give excellent composition tips, and this post is no exception. Very much appreciated!

@denisegoldberg (Hope that @ thing is right - I can't find a reply button :o ... )

Hi Denise, On day 1 we were planning a drive to Vermont for the fall colors, but torrential rain said no... We found a drive closer to our hotel, and headed up route 127, one of the most fortunate Forrest Gump style plan changes possible. We love that area and spent four days driving it In the next two weeks. I think I could spend a month on that highway alone. Every little side road we found we headed towards the ocean, and drove down to the coves. The one in this image is nice, but my favorite is one called Lobster Cove. You may know it, but if not, let me know and I'll send you a screen capture of the location information map from my cell pics. It's a must-see.

Glad to see you're still here on the dgrin - Your photo work is wonderful and you saved me on many occasions with your technical skills.

Thanks much. John

• kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator
    edited January 29, 2019

@Brody said:
    I've been away from Dgrin so long I must ask a question... I'm clueless on reply format - Am I supposed to put the @name thing on the reply and quote your note? I'm liking the way this forum is woking now and should learn how to use it correctly. I don't want to look like the newb I am.....

Hi John,

There is still indeed a quote function, but it's a bit hidden. It's a little quotation-mark icon ( " ) in the toolbar with the green icons at the bottom of every post. That quotes the entire post, but you can delete quoted lines that aren't pertinent to your reply. So you don't have to second-guess the quotation formatting. I hope that makes sense.

And yes to be honest I don't much care for the new user interface either.

Best regards,
    Joel

@Richard said:
    I agree with Taz's suggestion for #3 and I would also rotate it a tad so that the lighthouse and flagpole are vertical.

Thanks for spotting that Richard - I do drop the camera corner occasionally, especially when a lot is going on and I'm in 'snap-it-all' mode... I must fix that both in the pic and in my shooting.

I took a glance at your Smug site and I really like it, clean and well organized. Made me realize that I need to clean and organize my gallery, a lot! I may steal a couple of your ideas, so let me know if I need to send you a massive check for consulting ;)

@kdog said:

@Brody said:
    I've been away from Dgrin so long I must ask a question... I'm clueless on reply format - Am I supposed to put the @name thing on the reply and quote your note? I'm liking the way this forum is working now and should learn how to use it correctly. I don't want to look like the newb I am.....

Hi John,

There is still indeed a quote function, but it's a bit hidden. It's a little quotation-mark icon ( " ) in the toolbar with the green icons at the bottom of every post. That quotes the entire post, but you can delete quoted lines that aren't pertinent to your reply. So you don't have to second-guess the quotation formatting. I hope that makes sense.

And yes to be honest I don't much care for the new user interface either.

Best regards,
    Joel

Much appreciated Joel - I had seen the quote feature, but I didn't know if I was supposed to put in the entire post as or just pull out a snippet. I also thought I remembered a reply button, and wanted to be consistent. Now I feel like I know how to use it without committing a heinous banned-for-life type breach of protocol. ;)

Thanks again, John