Options

Historic Corvette " mule "

black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,321 Major grins
edited January 27, 2019 in Other Cool Shots

This is a 1964 Corvette developed as an engineering study by Chevy and designated as XP-819. It was intended to explore the creation of a rear/mid-engined version of the Corvette. Zora Duntov, considered the father of the Corvette, was never keen on this particular design....preferring a more purely mid-engine approach that promised superior handling. In 1969, this mule was turned over to Smokey Yunick and his garage in Daytona Beach, FL, to be destroyed. Smokey had done some of the development work on the car. Instead of destroying it, Smokey dismantled it and hid it away. Years later, it was discovered and restored to its original status.

I did a little business with Smokey and his crew in the mid 60's. He was a legend in his time, particularly when it came to creating performance engines. I had them build two engines for me....one was a Chevy big-block that got stuffed into a '57 Chevy I was running then and the other was an Oldsmobile engine that they modified for marine use in a ski boat that I had. I can tell you that both the car and the boat were frighteningly FAST.

I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.

Comments

• Options
    JuanoJuano Registered Users Posts: 4,881 Major grins

Great back story Tom! Thanks

• Options

@Juano said:
    Great back story Tom! Thanks

Sometimes the story behind the car is more interesting than the car itself. I try, however, to limit my posts to cars that cover both bases. Fortunately, these major shows bring out a lot cars that are seldom seen, are technically interesting, and come out of intriguing circumstances.

I'm following closely your exploits with PS. Like you, I've put off tangling with that stuff in any meaningful way for a long time. I need to go beyond just scratching the surface and really get after it.

See you

I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • Options
    StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins

Looks like a very comfy lawn mower Tom! ;o)

• Options

@Stumblebum said:
    Looks like a very comfy lawn mower Tom! ;o)

Hell, Taz, I'm to tell my yard guy that if he doesn't get one of these I'll be dumping his service.