Blue Door

WernerGWernerG Registered Users Posts: 534 Major grins
edited February 1, 2019 in Other Cool Shots

Comments

• StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins

Its growing on me as I stare at it. That is a lovely door once eyes find it. Initially the wood chips on left, the shadows etc. are fighting hard for attention. It might be worth it to consider selective coloring? Just leave the blue door and rest b&w! Just and idea! Cheers!

• JuanoJuano Registered Users Posts: 4,878 Major grins

I would be curious to see a vertical rectangular crop, keeping everything from the lamp (or so) to the left. Then perhaps a little vibrance.

• WernerGWernerG Registered Users Posts: 534 Major grins

My problem with the original is the empty upper right quadrant. I liked the shadow of the railings on the wall but I wished there had been a window above. The nearest window is one frame to the right. I did shoot a vertical and it certainly emphasizes the door but it seems too restricted to me. The door is very faded and I prefer to leave it that way.

• JuanoJuano Registered Users Posts: 4,878 Major grins

I do like the crop better than the original.

• black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,319 Major grins

Hey, Werner. I can't get into this one. The vertical shot is better but, even then, there is preponderence of objects and leading lines that, to me, are distracting....my eyes want to dance all around. I've been loving your coastal Maine stuff.

Tom

I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • JonaBeth RussellJonaBeth Russell Registered Users Posts: 1,065 Major grins

@black mamba said:
    Hey, Werner. I can't get into this one. The vertical shot is better but, even then, there is preponderence of objects and leading lines that, to me, are distracting....my eyes want to dance all around. I've been loving your coastal Maine stuff.

Tom

Aloha Werner, thanks for sharing. That blue door sure has some pizazz of its own, I think. I'm with Tom, the scene itself is a bit distracting. Maybe try cropping a little more to remove the shake siding. It's the only thing that's really taking away from the lovely horizontal lines of the vinyl siding and the steps.

Either way, keep sharing, your work is lovely!

-Jonathon

• sarasphotossarasphotos Registered Users Posts: 3,822 Major grins

Cristóbal, Tom and Jonathon I have to say I disagree with you guys this time. I actually like the original the best. For me the crop makes the shot VERY ordinary while for me the original has a wonderful tension caused by the shadows on the wall to the right. I also like the flaking-paint area - it gets me thinking "who lives here?". For me, the cropped shot is just another door while the original tells a story. And I like the colors and textures of the different woods. I might work, like Taz said with selective coloring, but then again that could also look contrived...

Thanks for sharing!

• WernerGWernerG Registered Users Posts: 534 Major grins

Thank you all for your comments. I too like the OP the best.

• pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,694 moderator

I'm with you Sara, I greatly prefer the first image. The shadows are great - I MIGHT even darken then a shade more with the dodge tool.

Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin