a spring visit, Acadia National Park

denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,220 moderator
edited May 28, 2018 in Journeys

A number of years back I started visiting Acadia National Park twice a year. My target dates are spring and fall - before and after the heavy summer visitor population. This year's spring visit was just two weeks ago. I started with an overnight visit with a friend in Yarmouth, Maine before heading to Downeast Maine.

I started my visit in the Schoodic section of the park, https://www.nps.gov/acad/planyourvisit/schoodic.htm. As I got closer to the tip of the peninsula the blue of the sky disappeared, replaced by a bit of fog.

1 :: warning sign

2 :: trees, reflected

3 :: rocks and twisted trees, at the tip of the peninsula

4 :: diabase dike

5 :: rocks and water

6 :: heading north along the edge of the peninsula

The ocean creates songs in areas of round rocks. There are wonderful sounds as the rocks roll in reaction to the waves.

7 :: round rocks

As I was driving from Schoodic to Mount Desert Island the sky changed.

8 :: across from the park information stop, crossing to the island

I had 2+ days to wander in the part of the park on Mount Desert Island

9 :: along Park Loop Road, looking inland

10 :: early spring green

11 :: rushing water, at the edge of Sand Beach

12 :: looking back to Sand Beach

13 :: rocky coast

14 :: Jordan Pond

15 :: rocks and trees

16 :: in the woods (Compass Harbor trail)

17 :: jagged and round rocks

If you're interested in wandering through more of the photos from this trip you can find them at https://www.denisegoldberg.com/Travel/Acadia-May-2018.

Comments

• David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,167 moderator

Glad you can get back there so often, Denise. I've only visited the park once, for a Dgrin/Smugmug Shootout in 2009, and have always wanted to go back - but like you - not during the heavy tourist season! Great photos as always. Looks like you had favorable weather.

My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,220 moderator

@David_S85 said:
    Glad you can get back there so often, Denise...

Thanks David!

I feel lucky that Acadia is a very reasonable drive from home, about 4 1/2 hours. I know I wouldn't be happy with the crowds there in the summer; heading up early in the spring and sort of late in the fall works well for me. One of these years I'll try to get there in the winter.

• BrodyBrody Registered Users Posts: 252 Major grins

Another great series of images @Denise! I wish I had seen these sooner - I was just back in this neck of the woods a few months ago and would have loved a couple days strolling in this beauty. With all of the great work and seeing these posts, I wish I had been spending more time on Dgrin. Thanks for the motivation!

Travel & Landscape Favorites at JohnBrody.com / Facebook / Blog / JohnBrodyPhotography.com
    ________________________________________________________________________________________________

@Brody said:
    Another great series of images @Denise! I wish I had seen these sooner - I was just back in this neck of the woods a few months ago and would have loved a couple days strolling in this beauty.

Thank you @Brody! Acadia National Park is a favorite place for me - and since I live north of Boston it's a reasonable drive. I've been trying to get up there at least twice a year, once in the spring and once in the fall.

edited February 4, 2019

Funny... North of Boston... I planned to go to Vermont and the rains made me stay local to Waltham location, so I went up the scenic route, I think it's called 127. I was so smitten that I spent four days in the next two weeks driving through the backwoods and hitting every cove along the coastal route. I'm jealous that you live there :) I did go through your Acacia SmugMug album and have resolved that I must plan another fall colors trip!

I like your SM landing page... I haven't figured out how to get away from my thumbnail setup and have a single entry image like yours - I'll tackle it someday. I love your welcoming photo; the girl peering into the crevasse with hands behind her back, adventurous and cautious at the same time. Wonderful image! Have a great week.

Travel & Landscape Favorites at JohnBrody.com / Facebook / Blog / JohnBrodyPhotography.com
    ________________________________________________________________________________________________

Thanks again @Brody!

Funny, the photo on my home page was taken at the tip of the Schoodic Peninsula, a part of Acadia National Park that is on the mainland, about an hours drive north and east of Mount Desert Island (the home of the bulk of the park). I highly recommend a visit to Acadia.

Setting up a homepage with a single entry image is easy. Click Customize... Content and Design. Click Homepage. Then drag in a content element. On my site I used a Single Photo content element. Here's a link to the help page that outlines the steps - https://help.smugmug.com/create-a-unique-homepage-HyOgkeD1NSG.

Thanks for the info on Acadia and also the tip on your/maybe my Landing Page style. I spent a few days trying to figure that out a while back and failed miserably... You always seem able to make things go so smoothly :)

Much appreciated @Denise!

• slpollettslpollett Registered Users Posts: 1,189 Major grins

I always love seeing your images from your Acadia trips. These are wonderful, just like the others and they make me want to hurry up and visit. This park is on our list and we hope to get there in the next year or two. (So many parks we want to see!)

Sherry

@slpollett said:
    These are wonderful, just like the others and they make me want to hurry up and visit. This park is on our list and we hope to get there in the next year or two.

Thank you Sherry!

I look forward to seeing your photos from there when you get there. It's definitely worth a visit!