Socializing

RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,893 moderator

Comments

• black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,319 Major grins

Great shot, Richard. It's a sad commentary about the nature of interaction amongst people today.

I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • JuanoJuano Registered Users Posts: 4,878 Major grins

Good shot and story. Great conversion as always.

• toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins

@black mamba said:
    Great shot, Richard. It's a sad commentary about the nature of interaction amongst people today.

Yup.. all over the world....

Nice see Richard

D...

Rags
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,893 moderator

Thanks, Rags, Cristóbal and Tom. Much appreciated.

@digitalandfilm said:
    Richard... what is the subject here?

Good Street MUST have an easily identified subject or raison d'être..otherwise they just fail.

That's my prime rule and guideline for street shooting. If it's not there, why bother..can't fake the funk, so to speak.

I'm frankly surprised that someone who is a professed street shooter fails to recognize the poignancy of the social implications held within this shot.

I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.

@digitalandfilm said:
    Mamba..don't confuse poignancy with boring and/or lacking any punch.

To each his own, my man. The subtilties in this picture speak volumes about the state of affairs in human relations these days. The ability to capture the essence of such an observation is an arena where the really good street shooters roam. I hope you know that it takes much more than shots of people and things in the streets or murals on the wall. I, too, like verve and pop. But I really respond to the shooter that can pick up on the nuances in play and can capture the image that says it all. Boring to you, perhaps, but I have to turn down the volume in my head when an image like this one is so spot on in capturing that elusive essence.

edited July 5, 2018

@digitalandfilm said:

Three women in a bar having a drink. Instead of talking they are all on their cell phones looking bored. I'm surprised that the narrative wasn't clear to you--if anything it has become a cliché by now and I hesitated to post it because of that. But perhaps this is so common now that you didn't notice. Maybe that's the real point.

• double_entendredouble_entendre Registered Users Posts: 141 Major grins

@Richard said:

@digitalandfilm said:

Three women in a bar having a drink. Instead of talking they are all on their cell phones looking bored. I'm surprised that the narrative wasn't clear to you--if anything it has become a cliché by now and I hesitated to post it because of that. But perhaps this is so common now that you didn't notice. Maybe that's the real point.

I see it all the time and am guilty as well. Pretty common for my wife and I to be out and one or the other of us is reading something on the phone. We just enjoy each other's company, even if we're not talking. Dunno.

Great shot and commentary, regardless.

• kurzvorzwoelfkurzvorzwoelf Registered Users Posts: 339 Major grins

Indeed, great shot. It almost looks like they're having their smartphones for desert. +1, really like it. May I ask technical details, Richard? Camera and Lens that was shot with?

@double_entendre said:
    I see it all the time and am guilty as well.

I guess that happens to all of us once in a while. It's so easy to get distracted from what's right around us these days, with all the (useful and also much more useless) information at our fingertips these days, which is sadly so much more "push" than "pull" also. Sometimes, I do feel like a test subject of Ivan Pavlov.

Wise words from the Dog of Wisdom: If your ball is too big for your mouth, it's not yours.

I'm here to learn and progress. Honest feedback and criticism on my images is warmly appreciated!

My SmugMug site - kurzvorzwoelf.com

Thanks, guys.

@kurzvorzwoelf said:
    May I ask technical details, Richard? Camera and Lens that was shot with?

Canon 50D w/ Canon 70-200 f/4L at 90mm, ISO 3200. It's not my usual choice for street stuff, but you can sometimes get peek-a-boo shots through a crowd without being noticed.

• dotozmdotozm Registered Users Posts: 20 Big grins
    I see lots of younger generation on their phones like this but this generation, not so much.
  • BrodyBrody Registered Users Posts: 252 Major grins

Hi @Richerd. I scrolled down here to tell you how great the image is and how it so clearly portrays a huge problem in society these days... And then I saw the comment by "Digital And Flem" and did a mini jaw drop...
    I've never seen that on Dgrin before. Constructive criticism, yes, but plain stupidity, never. Have I just been lucky :)

Excellent capture Richard - I've been seeing that a lot lately but was never able to capture the moment. Well done!

Travel & Landscape Favorites at JohnBrody.com / Facebook / Blog / JohnBrodyPhotography.com
    ________________________________________________________________________________________________
    edited February 5, 2019

@Brody said:
    Hi @Richerd. I scrolled down here to tell you how great the image is and how it so clearly portrays a huge problem in society these days... And then I saw the comment by "Digital And Flem" and did a mini jaw drop...
    I've never seen that on Dgrin before. Constructive criticism, yes, but plain stupidity, never. Have I just been lucky :)

Excellent capture Richard - I've been seeing that a lot lately but was never able to capture the moment. Well done!

Cheers, John. That guy is a troll who has been banned from Dgrin several times under different user names. I can't imagine why he keeps coming back--maybe because he's banned everywhere else, dunno. We can usually tell he's back when he starts attacking old, dead threads of mine. Ah, well, all in a day's work.

Hi @Richard,

I like the way I spelled your name in the last message as @Richerd instead of @Richard - Ah, yes, dyslexia rears its ugly head again... Is 30 red-lined-by-Grammarly misspelled per sentence more than the norm?
    Funny - A case-in-point example below :/ How the hell did I get through college? :)

A quick question... Since G+ announced it's closure, I've been turning to Dgrin as my new go-to site. I realized I've made 3 posts in a week and prepping another right now... Is that OK or does it seem spammy? Is there a best activity level? I don't want people running when they see my name pop up.

Thanks much!

Travel & Landscape Favorites at JohnBrody.com / Facebook / Blog / JohnBrodyPhotography.com
    ________________________________________________________________________________________________

Three posts in a week does not seem excessive to me. I don't know what the ideal amount is, but my own feeling is that the more good quality work we see, the better, and your stuff certainly qualifies. In any event, we have no rules about it. Just keep in mind that activity is generally pretty low, so you may not get as much response as you might like.

I didn't notice the misspelling of my name, so I guess I'm entering the same zone. I did notice that you misspelled digitalandfilm as "Digital And Flem," which gave me a good laugh.

@Richard said:
    I did notice that you misspelled digitalandfilm as "Digital And Flem," which gave me a good laugh.

A rare intentional misspell, but it was. Kind of a buried and gentle pot shot at the guy if he's following this... Now he'll read it and be after me.... :(

Glad you got a chuckle...