Need of Help Salvaging a Landscape Shot

MoonMan04MoonMan04 Registered Users Posts: 69 Big grins

Hey, so I'm new to using filters and what not, and I had realized I made a mistake here. I put my CP on then a UV filter on top mainly to protect the CP, but then I realized it gave my photo a permanent vignette that needs to go. I'm going to crop the top out so I'm not worried about that, but I can't afford to crop the bottom. I tried playing around with it in Lightroom to get rid of the vignette, but failed. Can someone give me a hand here on what you would do to salvage this photo?

Kyle C. Moon
Portfolio: Moonman.Photography

Comments

• black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,319 Major grins

Stacking filters will very often cause vignettes, as you have discovered. Before cropping this shot, I would try a simple zapping of the affected areas at the corners....might work, the lower right corner miaht be the toughest to work out. This shot needs some serious bump in luminance and, given another go at the scene, I would seek to include all of both trucks. Good luck. Others may have input that can help you.

I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,893 moderator

Content-aware fill in Photoshop will easily fix everything but the lower right corner. The problem there is that part of the tire above the snow line is gone and CA fill probably won't be very much help. I think the best option would be to crop the right edge so that you lose the part of the tire that's gone. There will still be some stuff that needs fixing in the snow, but that should be fairly easy to do with a clone stamp or healing brush. If you are dead-set against cropping, then you can either try to reconstruct the missing detail in the tire (tedious, but maybe doable), or you could try cloning in enough bushes to cover the missing tire pixels.

• CornflakeCornflake Registered Users Posts: 3,346 Major grins

I was going to say what Richard said except that I'd clone in some snow and brush in the lower right without further ado.

• MoonMan04MoonMan04 Registered Users Posts: 69 Big grins

@black mamba said:
    Stacking filters will very often cause vignettes, as you have discovered. Before cropping this shot, I would try a simple zapping of the affected areas at the corners....might work, the lower right corner miaht be the toughest to work out. This shot needs some serious bump in luminance and, given another go at the scene, I would seek to include all of both trucks. Good luck. Others may have input that can help you.

Yeah, I would have liked to have more time at composing a better shot, but the unforgiving weather prevented me from keeping my camera out any longer. Anyways, what exactly do you mean by "zapping" the corners? I'm still trying to figure out all that Lightroom has to offer and I think we all know that's a lot haha

Kyle C. Moon

Yes! See this is exactly what I'm looking for. Thanks @Richard and @Cornflake.

Kyle C. Moon

• CornflakeCornflake Registered Users Posts: 3,346 Major grins

Kyle, I think Richard and I were both assuming you had Photoshop. If you're working with Lightroom, I'm not sure that there's any good fix. (I love Lightroom but it has its limits.)

• David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,167 moderator
    edited February 5, 2019

Real quick and dirty edit (no magic cloning or heal) from Polarr free on the web. I largely cropped out the vignetting. Could be better.

Note: If you don't want this reworked pic here, I'll delete it. Let me know.

My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky

Thanks for taking a stab at it @David_S85. You're fine. I think the best thing to do is to just go back out there and recompose a better shot whenever the hell I get back on land haha

Kyle C. Moon

• roaddog52roaddog52 Registered Users Posts: 1,323 Major grins

@MoonMan04 said:
    Thanks for taking a stab at it @David_S85. You're fine. I think the best thing to do is to just go back out there and recompose a better shot whenever the hell I get back on land haha

Lot's of great info and ideas, but if you have the opportunity to go back, that would be your best bet.

I really like your original. I think the fowl weather is a major contribution to the image.

Phil

I don't know where I'm going, but I'm going anyway.

Luck happens when preparation meets opportunity!

I agree too @roaddog52 , the good thing is it's Dutch, and that's what it looks like most the time this year so I don't think it'll be challenging getting the same weather lol

Kyle C. Moon