All the Strobes

JonaBeth RussellJonaBeth Russell Registered Users Posts: 1,065 Major grins

Aloha gang!

Today, I'm sharing an image that required all 5 of my strobes to create in a single exposure, and I could've used one or two more! This is the entry view of a $29.8M home I had the pleasure of shooting yesterday. I'll share more images once the set is complete, but for now, just wanted to share this one. Very tough lighting situation, dark room, dark finishes, with a bright view outside...which MUST be showcased in the image.

Enjoy!

Comments

• WernerGWernerG Registered Users Posts: 534 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2019

Great sense of depth in this shot. Is that a real Chihuly glass sculpture?

• JonaBeth RussellJonaBeth Russell Registered Users Posts: 1,065 Major grins

@WernerG said:

Mahalo, and yes, it's authentic, along with many other high end art pieces throughout the home. I realized with this project that $2M in general liability is not nearly enough, and will be raising it to $10M Monday morning. lol

• WernerGWernerG Registered Users Posts: 534 Major grins

@JonaBeth Russell said:

@WernerG said:

Mahalo, and yes, it's authentic, along with many other high end art pieces throughout the home. I realized with this project that $2M in general liability is not nearly enough, and will be raising it to $10M Monday morning. lol

Must be fun packing that thing for moving. :)

@WernerG said:

Must be fun packing that thing for moving. :)

:D I'm so glad you think of the outside details too! I imagine things like that...how will they get certain furniture out, how the hell did they get it in there to begin with? Who comes in and actually cleans every inch of a 9,000sqft home? I wonder what the power bill costs (no solar in Hawaii is like driving a car with no tires...very expensive fast). The list goes on...

• StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins

JBR, how do I say this, but most respectfully, this is not a good image. Forget 29 million, this looks like an entrance to cheap motel. None of the elements go together. It is lit too much and too bright and too evenly lit. If anything you want focus on that little bit of ocean and build intrigue with slightly dark surroundings . That red thing looks like left over birthday celebration or pinata or something, that blue thing on right looks atrocious and there is simply nothing attractive here except that tiny glimpse of ocean. Oh that the TURD pattern on the floor is gross.

Your last set from this place was epic and stunning.

This needs to be deleted.

Love you bro!

@Stumblebum said:
    JBR, how do I say this, but most respectfully, this is not a good image. Forget 29 million, this looks like an entrance to cheap motel. None of the elements go together. It is lit too much and too bright and too evenly lit. If anything you want focus on that little bit of ocean and build intrigue with slightly dark surroundings . That red thing looks like left over birthday celebration or pinata or something, that blue thing on right looks atrocious and there is simply nothing attractive here except that tiny glimpse of ocean. Oh that the TURD pattern on the floor is gross.

Your last set from this place was epic and stunning.

This needs to be deleted.

Love you bro!

Well, I didn't see that coming, but I can see what you're getting at. I think you're going to be disappointed with many of the images, as the decor and furnishings are pretty much exactly as this image throughout. It's super dated. I did play with the lighting a little more in post to go for the effect you mentioned, about the build up. I guess since the realtor complained that the last images were too dark, I focused pretty solidly on brightening the scene a bit.

I appreciate the input and that you took the time to be real!

Do what your client wants......
    But process the images for art differently....
    Cheers JBR!

Here's another angle that I personally prefer.

edited February 10, 2019

I don't know what your realtor would like as they may be forcing your hand and that is the right thing to do as job is job.

From pure photo analysis point of view, this is what I would say.

Most important thing always and forever is light. Here there is so much of it. There is natural light, there is bulb light, and then there is flash light too?
    Eye usually goes to brightest area, and photographer will try to use it to take the eyes where they want to go.
    To sell good light you need something dark....
    Here it is pretty even lit, and the brightest part is the reflection in center of the image which probably was undesirable. Maybe polarizer helps take it out?
    Then there is extremely bright line on left edge as well as right edge....
    The fg is super lit, brighter than the top, usually fg is not meant to be brightest element....
    There are all kind of reflections all over the place.....the stairs, the aquarium's green light into wall, the one in center I mentioned and then they are all going in every direction.....flower pots are reflecting towards stairs and stairs are reflecting towards fire pots.
    Then there are hot spots everywhere...
    Top has some lights that are on and light is showing up but we don't know where....
    The left side has some light source and cutting through plants leaving hot areas under stairs
    Reflections from lights behind you into the glass stair case...
    Fish lighting up....but shutter not fast enough so they are out of focus......
    Top most edge has huge bright spot....
    Some edges and triangles everywhere at the edge, some very bright....

I think all the lights on top of the roof etc. need to be off......let the natural light be source of light.....take different exposures with tripod and you can make them as bright as you want to be to satisfy client but natural light would only highlight some areas let eyes follow it.
    If it evenly lit, then what is the most important area? Is everything equally interesting?
    Try different angles to minimize hot spots and reflections....

Is lens super wide? I think it might be distorting the shape....the top step has edge that is not straight line and the wooden aquarium has something curving inwards at the edge....pots seem to be tilted as well

Also something should be highlighted, meaning what is the most important thing here? The steps, the stair case, the aquarium? One of them has to be the most important thing, where all elements point towards it, and others fall back but are still visible.
    Perhaps some some symmetry?

As mentioned your previous set with setting sun and everything else left me totally stunned......so here it seems some realtor said bright bright bright and you might have over compensated....

So don't take any input too seriously.....just put yourself in the mode you were in when you shot that set and score again!

Cheers JBR!

• JuanoJuano Registered Users Posts: 4,878 Major grins

Well, I guess Taz is not buying...!

I think the first one is successful, I would pull in the blacks or exposure a little bit and get rid of the edge at the bottom. With the second one I think Taz has some good points, the reflections the blurred fish make it somewhat distracting.

edited February 11, 2019

In the first image, everything you said, yes....natural bright light from behind the camera, natural bright light from the distant background (outside), and strobes placed in between to light the space that was far too dark to see anything. Looking back, shooting an ambient or near ambient interior exposed frame would've made for better blending options in post to limit how much strobe light was needed. I'll be returning to the property for sunset/twilight and another run with the drone (because the wind was around 30kts when I was there). When I do, I'll try this one again, simply for the lighting aspect.

In the second image, natural light only...no strobes. The entrance (what would appear left of the stairs) is an entire glass wall that cannot be blocked off...no shades, nothing. Just glass with light bounced in from an adjacent bright, glass covered wall. I'll post a pic of the entrance exterior to better give the understanding of why so much light comes in.

The black wall inside, to which the stairs are attached, is slightly curved. It's subtle, but is enough to appear as a distorted image. So, in the first image, the top stair looks like it's not on plane with the camera because it is not, and the floor appears droopy on the left because its curved inward, toward the camera. Unfortunately, the continuing floor line is hidden by the bottom steps and fish tank, so the eye cannot see it. Another good catch on your part, and I'll make another go at that image upon my return.

The glare from outside in the handrail glass is just something unavoidable. Moving left gives more glare, moving right gives glare from the front entry (camera-left).

Overall, this might have been the most difficult home I've shot to date. It's structural shape is a strange mix of curves and acute angles, and the furniture is exactly the same, but in opposite fashion. For example, there's a triangle shaped fish tank coming out of a slightly rounded wall...it's like a giant 'Power' button, with the fish tank being the indicator. The place is over furnished in general, and there are several giant sized glass art pieces, including the $700,000 Chihuly hanging from the ceiling, which you likened to a piñata (agreeably so). lol. These all work together to make showing the space in an inviting manner a real challenge. Check out the images below and you'll see that I had my work cut out for me.

Believe me, if I could've moved things around, and taken things out of the house, I would have. The caretaker's stern rule was, and I quote, 'Don't move anything.' (Although I still moved a few soaps and bathroom toiletries for some photos, but I put 'em back).

NOTE: I'll be reshooting this image, as the wind was so high the cushions wouldn't stay put on the chairs. But I included in this post just for an understanding of how crazy weird this home is.

Back to killing it! These rock! Wow its a hotel! Yeah, some spaces are just not meant for photography.....maybe let them go, unless they really demand it.

@Stumblebum said:
    Back to killing it! These rock! Wow its a hotel! Yeah, some spaces are just not meant for photography.....maybe let them go, unless they really demand it.

I might go with that. I'm with you, the entry is the least attractive part of the home, I thought that to myself as soon as I walked into the place. But the realtor might request the shot, just to make sure he has that base covered, which is understandable.

Mahalo for taking the time to view, formulate your thoughts, and share some advice & knowledge. I very much appreciate that!