Adobe Enhance Details Increases RAW Photo Resolution By Up to 30%

Comments

• David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,167 moderator

Hmmmm. Very interesting. Not enough to get me to pay the yearly fee, but I like the results in those examples.

My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,764 moderator

Nice use of predictive AI!

ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator

Well, I updated LR and I tried it on several pictures. All it produces for me is a pure black image. The user interface for it is dead simple, so there's no way to screw up. Very disappointing. I guess they haven't gotten all the bugs worked out yet.

• colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins

It takes a lot of time (unless you have a fast GPU, like Topaz Gigapixel requires), it takes a lot of space, and you have to have the right images. It will not help every image. From tests and reading reports and examples on the web, I don't shoot the kind of images that would benefit. Not criticizing the feature; it looks like those shooting fine details with sharp lenses and no motion blur will benefit from this. I shoot too much handheld with consumer level lenses, I hardly see any difference when I try it with my pics.

This post from another forum has three good examples:
    https://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?topic=129052.msg1095451#msg1095451

Same thread has a link to an excellent overview of the potential and limitations:
    https://laurashoe.com/2019/02/12/enhance-raw-file-details-in-lightroom-classic-cc-and-lightroom-cc/

• pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,694 moderator
    edited February 14, 2019

It does work for me, Joel - Mac 10.14.3 and LR CC. 8.2 on an iMacPro

Having said that, I'm not sure I can see 30% improvement in my images I have tried - and the user can not see any evidence of having done it in the History or sequence of edits; so I can't seem to look at a file and tell whether I have Enhanced Detail or not after the fact which I kind of found a bit less than satisfactory. I will wait and see what Adobe says about this in the future, hopefully.

Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin

@pathfinder said:
    It does work for me, Joel - Mac 10.14.3 and LR CC. 8.2 on an iMacPro

Having said that, I'm not sure I can see 30% improvement in my images I have tried - and the user can not see any evidence of having done it in the History or sequence of edits; so I can't seem to look at a file and tell whether I have Enhanced Detail or not after the fact which I kind of found a bit less than satisfactory. I will wait and see what Adobe says about this in the future, hopefully.

I'm on a PC, Jim. Same version of LR, it's the only one that has the new feature.

The Details Enhancer creates a DNG output file. So by virtue of the fact that you actually get the output DNG then you can assume the details enhancer has been applied. No? The 30% is probably a best-case scenario for some files with a particular kind of detail loss due to the demosaicing algorithm.

• CornflakeCornflake Registered Users Posts: 3,346 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2019

I was about to upgrade and try this but Adobe informed me that I had to upgrade to Windows 10 first. That hadn't happened before. I suppose I've held out as long as I can.

@Cornflake said:
    I was about to upgrade and try this but Adobe informed me that I had to upgrade to Windows 10 first. That hadn't happened before. I suppose I've held out as long as I can.

Not only Windows 10, but it has to be fairly up to date on patches. I just recently upgraded to Windows 10 myself. Seems like it has better performance and reliability than Windows 7. I was very happy with the upgrade.

After my computer got a lobotomy I tried this. Nothing but all-black results so far.

@pathfinder said:
    I'm not sure I can see 30% improvement in my images I have tried

The thread title here correctly quotes Adobe's statement "up to 30%," which I interpret to mean I might get 3% or 6% and maybe that's why I see only minimal improvement with my own images.

The Adobe blog post says the 30% figure was arrived at from shooting using Siemens Star resolution charts. Presumably, easier to precisely quantify using that, compared to real subjects.

@pathfinder said:
    and the user can not see any evidence of having done it in the History or sequence of edits; so I can't seem to look at a file and tell whether I have Enhanced Detail or not after the fact which I kind of found a bit less than satisfactory. I will wait and see what Adobe says about this in the future, hopefully.

That's a good observation I have not seen anyone else mention.

"...and the user can not see any evidence of having done it in the History or sequence of edits; so I can't seem to look at a file and tell whether I have Enhanced Detail or not after the fact which I kind of found a bit less than satisfactory. I will wait and see what Adobe says about this in the future, hopefully."

The enhanced version is shown as a new DNG file so I wouldn't expect the history in the original to show that this was done.

@Cornflake said:
    After my computer got a lobotomy I tried this. Nothing but all-black results so far.

Same as me. Interesting. Might be a bug with the Windows version.

@Cornflake said:

The enhanced version is shown as a new DNG file so I wouldn't expect the history in the original to show that this was done.

That is my feeling as well.

edited February 15, 2019

Joel, I stand corrected - I do get a second file immediately after Enhancing Detail is clicked, and it is named the same as the original DNG file with Enhanced extended onto the original file name.DNG.
    I didn't catch that a new second file was created at the time earlier, so I was looking at the original file when I made my earlier comment. Sorry for my confusion.

AND one can find the images quickly by doing a search for Text with"Enhanced" in the text search box field. So you can find all of your Enhanced images very quickly.

But I do get a new file not a black screen. I still don't see 30% improvement or even 10% with some of my bird images. Maybe I need to try a sharper more geometric image .

edited February 15, 2019

@pathfinder said:
    ... I still don't see 30% improvement or even 10% with some of my bird images. Maybe I need to try a sharper more geometric image .

If possible, try to stack the two images, before and after the "Enhanced" process, and change the overlay property to a "Difference" blend. That should give you some hint as to where to look for the AI enhancements.

ziggy53
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,893 moderator

If you have to look so hard, doesn't that mean that it's really not worth very much? I don't have a CC subscription, but the samples I've seen don't seem any better than normal sharpening, at best.

"I just recently upgraded to Windows 10 myself. Seems like it has better performance and reliability than Windows 7. I was very happy with the upgrade." So far it seems fine except that I'm having to reset various programs and that's a challenge for me.

edited February 16, 2019

Ziggy, I just tried your suggestion on two images of mine of short eared owls captured in high ISO in low light, hoping to, perhaps, see some minor improvement.

Alas - for the two images I tried, I cannot "see" any improvement, and cannot seen any change whatsoever when I look at the DND and the enhanced DNG images stacked in PS and then blended at 100% Difference mode - the screen is totally black!! - If I move one layer, even one pixel up or down on the screen, I can immediately see changes in the image when they are no longer pixel matching stacked and Difference Blended as one would expect.

Hence, for the few images of mine that I have tested, I see no improvement which is a real disappointment.

I will try this with some different images - shot at lower ISOs from a tripod - and see if I can see more changes, hopefully.

I feel certain that Adobe found some images with perceptible improvements for then to make this new Enhanced DNG process available, but I haven't been able to see the improvement in the few files I have tested yet. I will keep looking with different images.

Tony Northrup "Enhanced" Observations

LR's Enhance Details: Beware Fuji users!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSv-AFSkxv4
    Tony & Chelsea Northrup
    Published on Feb 16, 2019

Lightroom Classic CC just added a new feature: Enhance Details. It promises 30% more resolution from your existing raw files. That would be amazing, but as you'll see in the video, it doesn't seem to be true. The story is a little different for Fujifilm users with an X-Trans sensor (such as those using the Fujifilm X-T1, X-T2, X-T3, X-Pro, or X-H1).

ziggy53

The interesting thing about that video is that Adobe has stated somewhere (unfortunately I can't find the link) that Enhanced Details will provide up to 30% "more resolution, not more pixels." Yet early in the video, Tony uses an analogy of Enhanced Details making your 24 megapixel camera become like a 32 megapixel camera, which is the misunderstanding Adobe tried to avoid.

Just another example of how hard this new feature is to understand and explain.

edited February 26, 2019

If the enhanced images really are better, different, shouldn't those pixel differences be quite noticeable when blended in Difference Mode in PS.

I didn't review my images at more than 4x, so maybe I just didn't look closely enough, but if you can't see any difference at normal resolutions , is there really a difference?

Somewhere I saw mention on the web that Enhance Details helps eliminate moire' - any one seen any reference to decreasing moire'

I never see it in my images anyway - maybe it is more likely in cameras that lack and anti-aliasing filter?? The Enhancement effect seems to be manifested differently on different sensors