Options

RESULTS: Dgrin Mini-Challenge #279 - Spineless Wonders

DavidRGillespieDavidRGillespie Registered Users Posts: 819 Many Grins

Thanks everyone, for such a lovely set of images. All of the images in every set were very nice, and it is hard to single out one image from each person's set, let alone one image from the group! It has been a delight to scan through them, and read the stories and background on some.

@JAG - I particularly like the framing on the bumblebee, with a nice, soft background. It is unusual to see the head in such sharp focus, because bumblebees buzz-pollinate, which means their head is usually vibrating faster than most cameras can freeze.

@cavalier - the first image of the praying mantis in your set was especially lovely. The soft green-blue of the insect contrasts nicely with the yellow and red of the daylily flower.

@sarasphotos - The image of the harvestman spider on the rose is really quite remarkable. The two colour blocks (dark green and rose) with the harvestman posed on the boundary is really attractive.

@lkbart - the image of the anemones and clownfish is remarkable. It is a busy scene, but all the actors stand out nicely, and the back-story on the deflation is neat.

@grandmaR - Again, nice images, but I was expecially intrigued by the conch fisherman, which tells a story. Yours was the only image that put invertebrates in juxtaposition with humans. It is a nice reminder.

@slpollett - I have a soft spot for monarch butterflies, and your image #2 is a great. The leading edge of the wing forms a nice leading life from the lower right corner, the grey background is uncluttered, and the flower balances the butterfly nicely.

@bfluegie - I smiled when I saw the ochre sea star, and still smile every time I look at the image. It looks like the sea star is stepping across a gap. It is also a nicely composed image that put the sea star in context with its native habitat. The lighting is really nice.

@pegelli - your first image, whizzing around the bend, is especially nice. The caterpillar makes a nice curve around the frame and the eyespots are a focal point that makes you look at the image several times.

@Gatto - The image of the jumping spider peeking out from a hole (image #2) is really neat, but the sharpness and detail in the third image, of a fly posed on a twig, is really remarkable for its sharpness, and the black background.

@wiredcur - a very nice image of a garden slug. Great colour and lighting, and you managed to get the eye stalks nicely in focus.

@redleash - I like the way the bee in #2, Hungry, is posed on a background that is a soft pastel of the flower colour in the foreground. The image is nicely split into two blocks, with the subject on the border between the blocks.

@sapphire73 - thanks for closing out the mini. Even if not an entry, it is a very eye-catching image with sharp detail and popping colour in the subject.

This is really difficult, since there are so many truly great images in this mini.

Honorable mentions to

@Gatto, for image 3. A remarkable capture with great sharpness and detail, especially in the eyes. The image is nicely composed, with the line of the twig leading you up, into the image.

and

@slpollett - Image 2, of the monarch, is just breathtaking. The wing shape divides the image into triangles that provide leading lines. The lighting is terrific, and, for me, the orange colour of the flower sets off the butterfly perfectly.

And the winner is

Sara (@sarasphotos) for the image of the harvestman spider on the rose. The art is great, with the frame split into two major colour blocks and the harvestman nicely occupies the ground between the background dark green and the foreground rose. These are large, fast-moving creatures, so the capture is also notable for the sharpness and the depth of field. The technical skill to make this capture is commendable.

Comments

• Options
    CavalierCavalier Registered Users Posts: 3,033 Major grins

Congratulations, Sara. I agree - beautiful shot of an illusive creature.

• Options
    sarasphotossarasphotos Registered Users Posts: 3,829 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2019

Wow, I'm totally surprised, thank you so much! There were so many fine entries I totally didn't expect to have one of my pictures be chosen. Congrats to @Gatto & @slpollett for the HMs and thanks so so much David for the fine mini. It's always appreciated when the mini's host makes such detailed comments.

I'll see what I can come up with in the next day or two. It will be difficult, as this and the last few minis have been quite interesting.

• Options
    redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins

Congratulations, Sara! This one got my attention when I first browsed through the entries. Well done!

"But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • Options
    JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator

Great challenge and awesome feedback @DavidRGillespie . A little history of the bumble bee image you commented on David, is that no flash was used that day as the sun was out at full force (mid day) and my camera had a manual setting that was a mistake. I had last used my camera on a over cast day and had forgotten that when I was shooting that day, I had set the camera on "cloudy" on the previous shoot. Thus it forced me to up my shutter speed, even though the iso was on 200. So the mistake turned out to be a shoot thing as I was able to stop all action because of this.

Congrats to everyone for all the great images in this challenge and for Sara for her win! @sarasphotos Please let me know when you have the next challenge up!

• Options
    sapphire73sapphire73 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 1,944 moderator

Congratulations, Sara, on your stunning capture! And David, thank you for running a great mini and providing comments!

• Options
    grandmaRgrandmaR Registered Users Posts: 1,946 Major grins

Congratulations to everybody - and I was hesitant about using the conch fisherman shot because it wasn't a close-up of the invertebrates. So I'm glad that you liked it.

“"..an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered." G.K. Chesterton”
  • Options
    GSPePGSPeP Registered Users Posts: 3,744 Major grins

Congratulations to everyone. There were some impressive entries in this challenge.

• Options
    sarasphotossarasphotos Registered Users Posts: 3,829 Major grins

Thank you all for your kind words. The new mini will be posted shortly. :D

• Options
    pegellipegelli Registered Users Posts: 8,777 Major grins

Congrats Sara, a well deserved win! Also congrats to slpollet and Gatto for the other honourable results and finally thanks to David for running a nice mini and all the detailed comments.

Pieter, aka pegelli
    My SmugMug
  • Options
    lkbartlkbart Registered Users Posts: 1,912 Major grins

Congratulations Sara - truly a great shot, love your other entries too! Great mini David - nice comments & well run! Congrats to the HMs & runners up too!

~Lillian~
    A photograph is an artistic expression of life, captured one moment at a time . . .
    http://bartlettphotoart.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    slpollettslpollett Registered Users Posts: 1,191 Major grins

Thank you for the HM! I thought this was a wonderful theme for a mini. There were so many great images in this one that I know it was hard to make the final selections. Also, I always appreciate the comments from the host. Thank you so much!

Sherry