Options

Watermark Issues

shniksshniks Registered Users Posts: 945 Major grins
edited February 14, 2019 in SmugMug Support

Hi guys,

One of the annoyances I face with SM concerns the application of a watermark to my photos in the galleries. Why doesn't SM allow us to resize the WM on each individual photo using Organize? Right now it just applies the WM to each photo with no scaling. So if one photo is 6000 px, then the WM looks small, but if another photo is 2000 px, then the WM is huge. It should be a simple fix to allow us to be able to go to Organize, place an uploaded WM on a selected photo and then resize it directly on the photo (i.e. allows us to resize our watermarks for each photo, directly in Organize). The only other alternative is to now download all my photos from each album, apply a WM to each in Photoshop and then upload it - which is not happening as that would be too cumbersome.

I really hope there is a simple solution to this.

Thanks much,

Nikhil

Comments

• Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,182 moderator

I created a whole mess of watermarks that I can apply almost anywhere on a photo. You can make as many as you like, and just name them differently. That said, I really wish there was a dynamic tool that the user could control resizing and different opacities, and also let us move them anywhere before applying to an image.

My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options

@David_S85 said:
    I created a whole mess of watermarks that I can apply almost anywhere on a photo. You can make as many as you like, and just name them differently. That said, I really wish there was a dynamic tool that the user could control resizing and different opacities, and also let us move them anywhere before applying to an image.

I guess that is a workaround David, but I don't see why it's hard to give us a dynamic tool to just resize over each image. I really hope they can do this for us.

Cheers,

• Options
    edited February 14, 2019

I have a lot of them. A dynamic tool would require far less base watermark images, but I'd suggest you make an official feature request for this. https://dgrin.com/categories/smugmug-feature-requests

Note: this screenshot is very old...

My Smugmug
  • Options
    edited February 14, 2019

@David_S85 said:
    I have a lot of them. A dynamic tool would require far less base watermark images, but I'd suggest you make an official feature request for this. https://dgrin.com/categories/smugmug-feature-requests

Note: this screenshot is very old...

Thanks David - have put in a request. Let's see if it is possible. I just don't want to do create so many different watermark versions (in my case I will need to have different resolution watermarks too).

Cheers,

• Options
    edited February 14, 2019

I agree. It was a lot of work to initially set them up. But in some cases it might actually be easier to apply than fiddling with a dynamic tool on every image. I can pick a bunch from a gallery and apply "very bottom left" and it is done en masse. Then another group with top right, etc.

My Smugmug
  • Options

@David_S85 said:
    I agree. It was a lot of work to initially set them up. But in some cases it might actually be easier to apply than fiddling with a dynamic tool on every image. I can pick a bunch from a gallery and apply "very bottom left" and it is done. Then another group with top right, etc.

But what about scaling issues? If you have two photos at different resolutions, then the watermark will appear big or small depending on the photo res. What's the workaround for that? I can't think of resizing my WM to account for all the resolutions that I will upload. One workaround might be to just upload a fixed resolution to the galleries (say 3000 px by 2000 px) and then the WM would appear correctly sized. I use photologo for my WM (which BTW is a steal at their current price of $40).

Cheers,

• Options

That can be an issue with massively different image size ranges, but I find it works pretty well with anything from 3880 x 2500 to 6000 x 4000, which is currently what mine are.

If I could design my own dynamic watermarker, the interface would allow me to choose from a menu of pre-made base images OR text. Then I could...

• Change opacity
    • Change from white all the way to black
    • Change watermark size
    • Change watermark location

I can dream.

My Smugmug