Options

Alaska Coastal Brown Bears

MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins

I had the pleasure of spending a week this September in Lake Clark NP, Alaska to photograph the coastal brown bears. While it was the last week of the season, the experience was superb. I will never forget the experience with these bears and the wonderful guides who kept me safe while staring through the camera.

1. The plane landed on the beach and one hour later I was laying down on the sand watching this sow nursing her cub by the shore.

2. This was followed by a family stroll on the beach when we returned after dinner. This shot taken after sunset.

3. This was the end of the silver salmon run. Just a few stragglers were around. The bears worked hard to catch these last few fish before hibernation.

4. Fresh sushi?

5. This blonde bear was stunning in the nice light.

6. This sub-adult male put on a great show for us by splashing around but lacked the skills to catch any fish.

7. After a day of shooting, I returned to my cabin to freshen up for dinner. I hear a rustling next to the porch and this cub poked his head up from the bushes a few feet away from me. I quickly set down my tripod with the big glass and picked up the 70-200mm I had strapped on a second body around my neck to catch a few frames before he darted off.

8. Subadult checking us out at dusk.

9. Another nursing photo. I liked the pose and the environment on this one.

10. Tried to make the best of the lighting on this one.

Comments

• Options
    shniksshniks Registered Users Posts: 945 Major grins

Great photos Mitch. Looks like you had a good time. I was there in July, but there were no clams and I missed the beach shots. Maybe next time.

Cheers,

• Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,237 moderator

These are amazing Mitch!
    1 and 4 are my favorites of the set.

• Options
    StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins

Epic stuff! Congrats!~

• Options

@shniks said:
    Great photos Mitch. Looks like you had a good time. I was there in July, but there were no clams and I missed the beach shots. Maybe next time.

Cheers,

Thanks. No clamming while I was there, but they spent most of the days on the beach and eating peas by the shore.

@denisegoldberg said:
    These are amazing Mitch!
    1 and 4 are my favorites of the set.

Thanks, Denise. I've got so many photos from this week that it's hard to pick favorites for me.

@Stumblebum said:
    Epic stuff! Congrats!~

Thanks. One of my best photography weeks. Lucked out with great weather and cooperative subjects.

• Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,696 moderator
    edited December 8, 2018

Looks like a great trip with great light, no rainy or very grey days and a set of wonderful images.

I really like every one of these!

Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,182 moderator

Super sat of bears. Love number seven.

My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,913 moderator

Awesome set, Mitch. I love the low POV--it makes them even more immediate.

• Options

@pathfinder said:
    Looks like a great trip with great light, no rainy or very grey days and a set of wonderful images.

I really like every one of these!

Thanks. I got lucky with the weather. I would have been happy with some interesting skies, but I won't complain.

@David_S85 said:
    Super sat of bears. Love number seven.

Thanks, David. #7 was a shocker.

@Richard said:
    Awesome set, Mitch. I love the low POV--it makes them even more immediate.

I spent most of the week laying down or kneeling in the sand trying to get low. I think it really does help.

• Options
    MoonMan04MoonMan04 Registered Users Posts: 69 Big grins

That's awesome! I always have my camera ready too for opportunities like #7 haha

Kyle C. Moon
    Portfolio: Moonman.Photography

• Options

@MoonMan04 said:
    That's awesome! I always have my camera ready too for opportunities like #7 haha

The best camera is the one you have ready.

• Options
    redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins

Great set, Mitch! All the shots are nice and most stand alone in their storytelling but as a group it is wonderful. My favorites are 1, 4 and 6. Nicely captured and the most interesting of all of them. Looks like you had a terrific experience.

Lauren

"But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator

Not sure how I missed these first time around, but these are superb shots. What a wonderful experience that must have been.

• Options
    kurzvorzwoelfkurzvorzwoelf Registered Users Posts: 339 Major grins

And I must have missed it too, somehow. Good that you brought this thread up again just in time, @kdog

Mitchell, dunno what to say, these shots leave me speechless. I admire people like you who actually take the time to go out in the wild and also have the patience and skills to create such phantastic shots. Bears are phenomenal creatures and I'd love to have the opportunity to see some in their natural habitat one fine day. Maybe I should hire as a nature photographer's assistant some day (carrying all the heavy lenses hehe) and bring myself binoculars.

Thanks for sharing those pictures, man.

Wise words from the Dog of Wisdom: If your ball is too big for your mouth, it's not yours.

I'm here to learn and progress. Honest feedback and criticism on my images is warmly appreciated!

My SmugMug site - kurzvorzwoelf.com

• Options
    JonaBeth RussellJonaBeth Russell Registered Users Posts: 1,065 Major grins

These are absolutely remarkable images! Thank you so much for sharing the set.

• Options
    SusansmithaSusansmitha New member Posts: 10 Big grins
    These shots are superb. well done!
  • Options
    govindvkumargovindvkumar Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    The shot of Bear catching the fish is really amazing.. Congrats !!
  • Options
    JeffroJeffro Registered Users Posts: 1,941 Major grins

Very cool shots.

Always lurking, sometimes participating. :D
  • Options
    CountrylovingmammaCountrylovingmamma Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
    Very Nice shots! What a treat to see and capture on camera :)
  • Options
    MaitryMaitry Registered Users Posts: 8 Big grins

Such a lovely set of pictures! You have covered all the aspects including love, care, and hunt!
    I love it. :smile: