Options

Canon Announces 6 - New RF Mirrorless System Lenses for later 2019

ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,798 moderator
edited February 16, 2019 in Cameras

From: Canon Ensures The Successful Future Of Its RF Mount With The Development Of Six New Lenses

The new Canon RF lenses to include:

• RF 85mm F1.2 L USM
  • RF 85mm F1.2 L USM DS
  • RF 24-70mm F2.8 L IS USM
  • RF 15-35mm F2.8 L IS USM
  • RF 70-200mm F2.8 L IS USM
  • RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM

Note that 5 - of these lenses are "L" series, Canon's top-of-line distinction. I suspect that the RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM may be positioned as a "kit" lens for some of Canon's R series bodies.

ziggy53
Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums

Comments

• Options

Of the above lenses, the RF 70-200mm F2.8 L IS USM is a new animal; a shortened (perhaps collapsed in the "stow" position) tele-zoom. There is no news from Canon about why it's so physically short, but it has the photographic world on it's collective feet wondering how and why.

ziggy53
  • Options

CANON UNLEASHES 5 NEW PRO RF LENSES | Nikon & Sony BETTER take Notice - Jared "Fro" Polin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KegpELZrnHk

ziggy53
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,696 moderator

Very interesting - the RP body looks like a capable body that will appeal to a lot of new users and at $1299 is priced close enough to many of the APS-C bodies to compete seriously for their dollars.

Interesting that Canon seems to be serious in introducing lens for their R format bodies before the real pro R format body shows up - AND Canon now seems to have promised IBIS in some future body as well.

I'll just keep watching and waiting right now, I think, but things do begin to look promising for Canon system users, at some future date at least.

Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin