Bulk Keyword Edit or Delete

BrodyBrody Registered Users Posts: 252 Major grins

Is there an easy way to do bulk keyword editing or removal in SmugMug now in 2019? The Last discussions I see are from back in 2006-07 and 2013. I can find nothing since, and those all seemed to end up with a pending feature request note. I have a monumental mess in my keywords and need to clean them up. I look forward to any help or advice you can provide. I'm hoping there's some magnificent new feature available and I simply haven't spotted it.

Thanks in advance, John

Travel & Landscape Favorites at JohnBrody.com / Facebook / Blog / JohnBrodyPhotography.com
________________________________________________________________________________________________

Comments

• denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,220 moderator
    edited February 23, 2019

You can do bulk keyword editing from Organizer.

If you have keywords that cross areas of your sites you can create a smart gallery using the keyword you want to change and then access the smart gallery from organizer. If I spot a keyword that I need to change that spans galleries I often use the smart gallery trick to access those at once.

Help page - https://help.smugmug.com/change-settings-for-multiple-galleries-at-once-rJY8eewkVBf

• BrodyBrody Registered Users Posts: 252 Major grins

Thanks much Denise! I just spent almost half an hour deleting Keywords - I got 2 photos done :( ---- I don't know what a smart gallery is but I'm gonna learn 👍🏻

Travel & Landscape Favorites at JohnBrody.com / Facebook / Blog / JohnBrodyPhotography.com
    ________________________________________________________________________________________________

here's the help page for smart galleries - https://help.smugmug.com/create-galleries-based-on-keywords-SyPGlePkNrz.

I have one unlisted gallery that I use for this purpose. I change the keywords as needed.

Hi @Denise - I'm confused on what to do to delete keywords in bulk. I probably have, considering the mix of keywords on all of the photos, Several hundred keywords, and I was hoping to go through and get rid of the ones that are just junk and that may be applied to selected images or all images... Like I may have my name, Louve, and Paris on 100 photos, and they belong there, still valid. But I may also have a bunch of Wordtracker (popular KW site in the 2005 thru 2010 era) keywords that are junk, like "destinations" or galery (misspelled gallery which they recommended), etc which I want gone. I have a few hundred I want gone overall :/ I'm probably looking right at the tool I need but don't see it. This is as far as I got below. BTW, I also got the ominous message of something like " use of the box will delete all keywords for all image in the galleries selected"... So I'm messing up somewhere, maybe reading the SmugMug article wrong :/

• AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,008 Major grins

I use an unlisted gallery as does Denise. After adding the keyword/s I want to edit into the
    unlisted gallery I use this extension for the Chrome browser. There is a limit of 1000 so I just
    do this multiple times to affect a single keyword.

https://www.sherlockphotography.org/Customisations/SmugMug-for-Chrome

Scroll down and click the middle screen shot.
    This would be my unlisted gallery with all the photos and their keywords.
    In the right column you can see how KW's are added, deleted or changed.

Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog

@Brody the meta keywords on the screenshot you pasted are for gallery meta keywords on the basics tab of gallery settings - they are not the keywords on photos. I probably steered you wrong with that help page, sorry.

I use an unlisted gallery that is a smart gallery that contains the keyword I want to edit or delete. Unlike @Allen I don't use the Chrome browser extension, I simply use the keyword edit from Organizer.

Here's a sample of my gallery definition:

I open that gallery in the Organizer, click Select all to select all of the photos, click the wrench icon, then select Titles, Captions, and Keywords:

Then in the Keywords section I remove (or add, or change) keywords.

edited February 24, 2019

It's not you at all @denisegoldberg - I'm just totally inept at SM :/ - Setting up an unlisted smart gallery will be a challenge for me :blush: --- I want to try your method because I like to stay in the world of SM whenever possible... I'm stopping for today as other duties call, but I want to give your approach a go since your methods have always worked for me in the past. I did run across the chrome extension that @Allen mentions above and I did more work in a couple hours than I have in the last decade - I probably got rid of half of what I want gone, many 1000s of keywords in total across a few hundred photos. One of the things that I liked about the chrome app, (and I'm curious about how to go about this within SM) is that the chrome app shows the existing keywords for each of the images selected. I use that info field as my starting point to find the typos and useless and excessive keywords that were the trend years ago (or so WordTracker told me). So I just copy the undesirables and plop them into the remove box, hit go, and it says "Removed from 376 photos" then I scan for another offender and zap it. Voila'

Thanks again for your info - I look forward to giving your tips above a go, John

Thanks much for your note @Allen - I mentioned my success with this app in the reply above. I appreciate your info!