Ice and Snow

WernerGWernerG Registered Users Posts: 534 Major grins

Not much of either compared to years past but the winds keep pushing floating ice into a small coves and the supermoon tides lift it way up onshore.

1. The darker ice is floating, the brighter ice is stranded on shore.

1. Trail to the shore

2. Boulder wall - Textured Snow

Comments

• willard3willard3 Registered Users Posts: 2,580 Major grins

I like the composition of no 3, Werner, it's very balanced.

It is better to die on you feet than to live on your knees.....Emiliano Zapata
  • sarasphotossarasphotos Registered Users Posts: 3,822 Major grins

Werner, I like the composition of #1 but for my taste the b&ws are all a bit dark. And is it my eye, or is the horizon in #3 slightly tilted up on the right side?

• WernerGWernerG Registered Users Posts: 534 Major grins

Thank you Sara and Willard. I do like black in my B&W. With snow monochromes I try to stretch the lighter tones to see contrast details and lower the shadows to offset the whites. No 5 is probably an extreme example.

@sarasphotos said:
    Werner, I like the composition of #1 but for my taste the b&ws are all a bit dark. And is it my eye, or is the horizon in #3 slightly tilted up on the right side?

You are not seeing a real horizon. Those are islands out in the distance. The trees look vertical and the camera level said it was vertical and I don't have another reference. The land in the distance does create a tilted look.

• sarasphotossarasphotos Registered Users Posts: 3,822 Major grins

You are not seeing a real horizon. Those are islands out in the distance. The trees look vertical and the camera level said it was vertical and I don't have another reference. The land in the distance does create a tilted look.

Ah yes, I should have seen that!

• black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,319 Major grins

Hey, Werner. I, too, think your B&W work needs a stronger emphasis on the whites. In these shots, the snow comes across as a muddled grey...not realistic looking. Shooting snow can be tricky in color, maybe even more so in B&W.

I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.