Really Rare Cars

black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,319 Major grins
edited February 27, 2019 in Other Cool Shots

Both of these jewels are ultra rare.

1. 1937 Bugatti 57SC Coupe

1. 1939 Packard Darrin 120 Convertible Victoria. Only 12 of these cars were made. Darrin was a custom designer/fabricator based out of California who catered to the wealthy. The buyers of these cars included Clark Gable, Tyrone Power, and Errol Flynn.

I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.

Comments

• StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins

Oh wow and I somehow heard of both.......cool cars Tom!

• sarasphotossarasphotos Registered Users Posts: 3,822 Major grins

Oh Tom, those are both scrumptious! Love those colors!

• black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,319 Major grins

@Stumblebum said:
    Oh wow and I somehow heard of both.......cool cars Tom!

One thing we can say for sure, Taz, is that these cars are from an era when individuality and character of design were important. Can you imagine, though, backing that Bugatti up or, heavens forbid, trying to parallel park it. There are no outside mirrors to help ( and, of course, no rear camera ) and blind spots all over the place. I guess if you owned the car, you just charged ahead all the time.

Take care, my friend.

I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.

@sarasphotos said:
    Oh Tom, those are both scrumptious! Love those colors!

Hey, Sara. I'll sure agree to the scrumptious term. Both cars reflect their French heritage. Even though Darrin had moved his operation to California at the time of this Packard conversion, he had spent a lot of formative years early in his career in France. The European influence was evident in his work.

• roaddog52roaddog52 Registered Users Posts: 1,323 Major grins

Tom, You get to see the most beautiful examples of rolling art work. The heft of the sheet metal on those cars, is probably double what it is today. You could probably hammer and stretch the fender skirts of that Bugatti, and build a small Honda.

I don't know where I'm going, but I'm going anyway.

Luck happens when preparation meets opportunity!
  • willard3willard3 Registered Users Posts: 2,580 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2019

Nice colors, Tom, welcome to the color clatch. B)

Bugatti justified bad brakes on his cars saying: "I make cars to go, not to stop."

It is better to die on you feet than to live on your knees.....Emiliano Zapata

@roaddog52 said:
    Tom, You get to see the most beautiful examples of rolling art work. The heft of the sheet metal on those cars, is probably double what it is today. You could probably hammer and stretch the fender skirts of that Bugatti, and build a small Honda.

Hey, Phil. I'm still laughing about your comment about the Bugatti fender skirts. They could probably get not only the Honda from them but have enough left over to dress out a couple of big " bagger " motorcycles. And you're right.....I'm dead lucky to get to see such magnificent machines quite often.

I hope your pending retirement sticks this time around.

@willard3 said:
    Nice colors, Tom, welcome to the color clatch. B)

Bugatti justified bad brakes on his cars saying: "I make cars to go, not to stop."

You know, buddy, the color spectrum on these older cars easily surpasses most of the limited array we see on the new stuff. I see signs, though, that more colors are making their way on to some recent cars.

Stay safe.