Dgrin Mini-Challenge #280 - Architectural Forms: The Arch

sarasphotossarasphotos Registered Users Posts: 3,822 Major grins
edited February 15, 2019 in The Dgrin Challenges

According to Wikipedia: "The arch is a vertical curved structure that spans an elevated space and may or may not support the weight above it. Arches may be synonymous with vaults, but a vault may be distinguished as a continuous arch forming a roof." Since the 2nd millennium BC they have been put to use in building a wide range of structures throughout the world and they provide us photographers with a beautiful frame or object of interest for our pictures.

I'd like to see three of your best examples of arches, be they ancient or modern, inside or ouside, man-made of from nature. The mini runs until Sunday, March 3, 10am Pacific Standard Time.

Here are a few examples:

Ans as usual, here are the rules:
1. Have fun sharing and seeing what others share!
2. The host supplies a topic and you post 1-3 images. The host judges the winners (1st, 2nd and 3rd) and is not eligible to enter.
The 1st place winner then chooses the next topic, judges the winner and then passes on the baton to the new champion.
3. Any photo you’ve taken is eligible, regardless of when taken or camera used.
4. Any amount of post-processing is allowed. However, it is helpful if you list your camera and lens along with your photo.
You may comment on other contestant's images. If you want someone to leave you some critique or criticism, just ask within your post.
5. The winner has up to three days (72 hours) to begin a new mini-challenge, or the honor goes to the #2 finisher and so forth.

Guidelines:
1. Enter 1-3 photos and put them in a single post.
2. Either embed your image in the thread or, if you must, supply a link to it. Keep in mind, however, most people don't want to click to open photos hosted elsewhere (i.e. on your website).
3. Also try and resize your photos prior to posting so they're sized appropriately for viewing without having to scroll (~800 pixels on the longest side works best.)
4. Give each image you enter a title.
5. Enjoy discussion with members about their images, don't let this just be an entry thread!
6. When quoting a post change the IMG urls to a 200x200 size picture so it is clear your post is feedback and not another entry. (see here for help)
7. Don't be hesitant, share'em and enter!

Mini-Challenge pointers:
1. Upon winning a mini-challenge round your first step is coming up with a new theme, and start a new thread using the same format as others have used.
2. Make sure to notify the admin of this thread to update the main thread links with your entry thread.
3. Feel free to watch the thread as it grows or wait to the end time and look at all the entries all at once.
4. After the time/date has passed, then officially close the thread with a single post notifying everyone of the fact.
5. After you're finished judging start a new thread (again use the prior formats) and post your Winner and runners-up, it is important to have runners up incase the winner does not show within the 72hr window.
6. PM the winner with this info above and let them know they have 72hrs.
7. After the 72hrs and the winner does not show up, notify the next runner-up and post a message on the Winner thread of the fact.
8. Remember, if you're the Winner, you run the show.

Comments

• DavidRGillespieDavidRGillespie Registered Users Posts: 819 Many Grins
    edited March 1, 2019

Oh, Wonderful idea! Ok, returned from travels, so I am editing and adding a couple of images.

1. Puente Yayabo, Sancti Spiritus, Cuba

2. Natural Arch, Spring Island, British Columbia

3. We are just back from 2 weeks in Mazatlan - and I did tend to see arches :) This one guards the entrance to the Las Gaviotas district

• sarasphotossarasphotos Registered Users Posts: 3,822 Major grins

Hi David, thanks for kiking it off! And yes, arches can be man-made or from nature. I just didn't have any examples from nature...

• sapphire73sapphire73 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 1,942 moderator

It was relatively easy for me to find photos of arches but harder to give accurate locations quickly. (Due to travel commitments, please don't consider as entries. Thank you.)

1) Arches under a Colosseum in Arles, France

2) Arch in ruins of a Roman bath

3) Bridge over the Rhine (?)

• JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited February 17, 2019

1 Cabo San Lucas Arch

2 St. Petersburg Russia

3 Castillo de San Cristobal in Puerto Rico

• kurzvorzwoelfkurzvorzwoelf Registered Users Posts: 339 Major grins

Nice topic, @sarasphotos ! Here are my entries:

1. Archception (Castle Eggenberg in Graz)

1. Arch overflow (Courtyard of the Old University in Graz)

1. The cloister of the Monastery in Bebenhausen, near Tübingen in Germany. I'm not sure whether it technically qualifies as arches, if not please let me know then I will have a replacement in queue :smile:

Wise words from the Dog of Wisdom: If your ball is too big for your mouth, it's not yours.

I'm here to learn and progress. Honest feedback and criticism on my images is warmly appreciated!

My SmugMug site - kurzvorzwoelf.com

• CavalierCavalier Registered Users Posts: 3,030 Major grins

Two of mine will be a stretch since I don't have many shots of arches and the weather outside is not condusive to photography/road trips :smile:

Double Arches - Arches National Park, Colorado.

Where the trees sorta make an arch:

Wagon Train Arch

@JAG , @sapphire73 , @kurzvorzwoelf & @Cavalier

Gretchen, thanks for posting, even if they aren't to be conisdered. Participation is always appreciated and I invariably enjoy your pictures.

Joyce, Can & Jo, thanks for entering! I love how many arch variations are already represented - including a conestoga wagon!

And Can, while your Bebenhausen picture is technically a vault, but since a vault is constructed from a series of arches, the picture is certainly within the bounds of the mini.

• slpollettslpollett Registered Users Posts: 1,189 Major grins

Oh, gosh, such wonderful images already! I don't know if I have anything that can measure up! Let me see what I can find.....

• grandmaRgrandmaR Registered Users Posts: 1,942 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2019

I have three natural arches, but the photos of them aren't so good - Natural Bridge Virginia, the smaller sandstone arches in Aruba after the big one collapsed and Holei Sea Arch in Hawaii. I also have lots of arches in forts - Fort Jefferson in the Dry Tortugas, Castilo de San Marcos, and the Martello towers and Fort Taylor in Key West. But I like this one best
    1. Fort Pulaski
    Next we have a Roman triumphal arch in Provence (the Arch of Glanum) taken in 1964
    2. Roman Arch of Glaum
    3. The Dolly Parton Bridge
    And last this is really the Enneüs Heerma Brug in Amsterdam

“"..an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered." G.K. Chesterton”

@slpollett Sherry, I hope you find something - the more entries, the merrier.

@grandmaR Thanks for the three interesting entries. I especially love the shape of that last bridge!

• lkbartlkbart Registered Users Posts: 1,912 Major grins

I don't have much, but will add what I have. Great subject!

1 St Louis Arch in winter (& with the area surrounding the base under construction)

2 Bridge in Vermont taken from the lighthouse

3 Palace of Fine Arts, San Francisco

~Lillian~
    A photograph is an artistic expression of life, captured one moment at a time . . .
    http://bartlettphotoart.smugmug.com/
  • pegellipegelli Registered Users Posts: 8,756 Major grins

Excellent theme Sara, one of my favourite subjects when exploring places I visit

1: Interior of the Mathematics Tower of Wroclaw university

2: In the cloysters of the Middelburg abbey

3: Naval college in Greenwich (London)

Pieter, aka pegelli
    My SmugMug

@lkbart @pegelli Lilian & Pieter, thank you both for the excellent entries!

Sorry guys, I completely spaced out!!! The mini is now closed. I'll put up results tomorrow.