Snowmaggeden Saguaro

EiaEia Registered Users Posts: 3,627 Major grins
edited March 4, 2019 in Landscapes

We had what they are calling 'snowmaggeden' last week. I have not seen so much snow.... it was quite amazing considering it is the desert. Nothing like walking around and sinking into the snow and on a cactus. We were in part of the storm; coming in sideways with almost no visibility. It stopped a little while making everything so crisp and white.

Comments

• denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,220 moderator
    edited March 4, 2019

It's amazing to see your photos of cactus in the snow!

• roaddog52roaddog52 Registered Users Posts: 1,323 Major grins

Well, that's something you don't see everyday. Thanks for sharing. I like the second image best.

I don't know where I'm going, but I'm going anyway.

Luck happens when preparation meets opportunity!
  • black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,319 Major grins

Very intersting. Well done. I'm with Phil, #2 is pure dynamite.

I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator

Holy Cow. Great pictures, but so sad to see the desert covered in snow like that!

• StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins

That is unbelievable! Good shooting Anna Maria!

• David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,167 moderator

Thanks for the visuals. Dramatic pics, for sure. I had heard about all that snow (35 inches in some spots?) on the news. Any problem with snow like that on desert plants? I know saguaro are strong plants, but what about the wildlife and other plant species? Will they be OK?

My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • sarasphotossarasphotos Registered Users Posts: 3,822 Major grins

Geez, I bet that was an experience for you!! I'm with the concensus - #2 is my favorite, although I may have cropped it a bit differently myself.

I bet your dog had fun!

• CornflakeCornflake Registered Users Posts: 3,346 Major grins

Very nice!

• toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins

Interesting... I like #3 best - it has some playing room... hiking contrast up might be interesting

Nice captures

Rags
  • EiaEia Registered Users Posts: 3,627 Major grins

Thanks for your comments. The saguaro are very hardy but for humans tearing them down and fires; otherwise they will just get plump with all the moisture - even snow. on occasion i have seen a few that have fell because of too much moisture but not the norm. I have many more photos and cropped ones too... thanks again for your suggestions and comments.