RESULTS: Dgrin Mini-Challenge #280 - Architectural Forms: The Arch

sarasphotossarasphotos Registered Users Posts: 3,822 Major grins
edited March 5, 2019 in The Dgrin Challenges

Firstly, thank you all for being so patient with me!

Once again, it was not so easy to pick the winner among the fine entries. I'll comment in order of posting:

@DavidRGillespie of your three shots I like #2 (Spring Island, BC) the best. With the person in the shot you get a nice sense of scale. I would have liked the third shot (Mazatlan) better but for me the exposure lacked contrast. I loved the angle of it, though...

@sapphire73 I particularly liked the arches in Arles (#1), the way you caught the curve and the play of light and shadows. Nice BW work.

@JAG that first shot of the arch in Cabo is lovely! I also liked #3 but I had the feeling that the picture tilts to the right a bit. The St. Petersburg shot is a bit underexposed for my taste.

@kurzvorzwoelf a great set! My only critical point might have been in #1 to slightly lighten the shadows between the first two sets of arches in order to get a bit more detail. #2 is splendid - wow, that's a lot of arches! And I just love the poor lonely snowman looking in the puddle at his certain destiny. :-) #3 is a wonderful picture - it speaks ARCH to me and is bueatifully exposed, capturing the detail in the light as well as the shadows.

@Cavalier you win the prize for most inventive interpretaion of the theme! All three are good arch shots.

@grandmaR I enjoyed all three of your entries - loved the kid hanging off the Roman arch in #2 and your name for #3 "Dolly Parton", indeed! Very cool bridge.

@lkbart #1 is a wonderful shot - I love the simplicity of the form against the blue sky with the light falling on it and the fog at ground level. I would have liked #2 a bit more if it had been more about the bridge and less about the big granite ball on the railing...

@pegelli I really like the first shot (Wroclaw University) - you chose an interesting angle and captured lots of "arch action". #2 is a wonderful exposure, capuring lovely detail (and more arches!) through the windows. My only critic is that perhaps the shot could have had a bit more dramatic tension if you'd taken a step to the left or right.

...and the winners are...

Honorable Mentions go to:

@JAG

@pegelli

This time a special prize for "most creative interpretation of the theme" goes to:
@Cavalier

2nd Place:
@lkbart

and the winner is:
@kurzvorzwoelf

Thanks all for participating and @kurzvorzwoelf, I'm looking forward to the next challenge.

Comments

• grandmaRgrandmaR Registered Users Posts: 1,942 Major grins

Great job Sara - thank you for running the mini - I didn't even see the kid in my photo of the Roman Arch.

“"..an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered." G.K. Chesterton”
  • DavidRGillespieDavidRGillespie Registered Users Posts: 819 Many Grins

Great mini Sara. Thanks so much for the comments - spot on on the contrast. congratulations to all @JAG , @pegelli , @Cavalier , @lkbart and @kurzvorzwoelf . I am looking forwrd to the next challenge

• JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator

Thank you Sara for running the challenge and for your detailed comments! I appreciate the time it takes to do that! Congrats to @kurzvorzwoelf and all the runner ups and honorable mentions!

• CavalierCavalier Registered Users Posts: 3,030 Major grins

Sara - great mini challenge. Thanks for the "special award" recognition :smiley:. And a well -deserved 1st place and congratulations to @kurzvorzwoelf - wonderful image. (Looks like the Dog of Wisdom has the right-sized ball.)

• lkbartlkbart Registered Users Posts: 1,912 Major grins

Congrats to @kurzvorzwoelf for the win - beautiful shot! & I love the creative take, very cool shot too! & thanks for the runner up spot! Great commenting & a great mini Sara!!

~Lillian~
    A photograph is an artistic expression of life, captured one moment at a time . . .
    http://bartlettphotoart.smugmug.com/
  • kurzvorzwoelfkurzvorzwoelf Registered Users Posts: 339 Major grins

Wow! Such an honour that you selected my entry as a winner amongst all the other great contributions, @sarasphotos - and also thanks a lot for running the mini and all the great commentary you have given to everyone!

Congrats also to @lkbart , @Cavalier @pegelli and @JAG and kudos to everyone else who participated. Lots of wonderful pictures this time.

Now, for running the next mini, I certainly have an idea but I also have a major problem - my one-and-only laptop is currently out on repair with no definitive ETA for getting it back so far (I'm typing this on the machine in the office at my workplace). The repair tracking says the machine is ready for delivery back from Poland, however I don't expect it to be arriving at my place before Friday or even Saturday. If it's OK for the next mini to be a little delayed, then I gladly setup something once the machine is returned. If that's too much of a delay, I can understand that as well and I'd pass it on to @lkbart

Sorry :|

Wise words from the Dog of Wisdom: If your ball is too big for your mouth, it's not yours.

I'm here to learn and progress. Honest feedback and criticism on my images is warmly appreciated!

My SmugMug site - kurzvorzwoelf.com

• lkbartlkbart Registered Users Posts: 1,912 Major grins

I'm fine with it being delayed; I have a super busy week and am heading out of town this weekend (and have no working ideas for a new mini), so if up to me, I'd gladly wait on your new mini to be posted.

Another thought would be to post the idea/theme, then edit the post to add details and photos once you get your computer back. Probably a good idea to get thoughts/approval from a mod to make sure it's okay to wait (@JAG ). :)

~Lillian~
    A photograph is an artistic expression of life, captured one moment at a time . . .
    http://bartlettphotoart.smugmug.com/

Ok, we will wait till Saturday then. I think it would be fine. @kurzvorzwoelf , if you are able to do at least start a new post with the theme idea and dates, I can put the usual link to the rules and such. If not, don't worry about it. Just let me know if you cannot get it done on the weekend. Then maybe we can pass it to the 3rd place @Cavalier since Lillian will be out of town this weekend.

• pegellipegelli Registered Users Posts: 8,756 Major grins

A well -deserved 1st place for @kurzvorzwoelf - fantastic image. And also congrats to the other honourable and numbered places. And finally thanks to Sara for a very nice theme, well run mini and all the detailed comments with the end result.

Pieter, aka pegelli
    My SmugMug
  • bfluegiebfluegie Registered Users Posts: 736 Major grins

Big congrats to @kurzvorzwoelf for an amazing image. When I saw that one I just said "Wow!" Love the shadows. I feel like I'm looking into infinity. I also really liked the POV of @pegelli's entry although I thought I might need dramamine after looking at it for a while :D. I was out of town for most of this challenge so I couldn't get something new and my older photos just couldn't compete so I sat it out. But I really liked all the entries. Great challenge @sarasphotos! I'm looking forward to the next one.

~~Barbara
  • kurzvorzwoelfkurzvorzwoelf Registered Users Posts: 339 Major grins

@JAG I now have a GLS tracking ID for the return of my equipment, and it will be delivered to me earliest upcoming Tuesday :'( . If I'm lucky, I'll not be home during the delivery timeframe and have to wait until the next day to pick up the machine from the depot. However, I can keep my work machine at home over the weekend and prepare the challenge itself (and not have to do it during work hours, I think my employer wouldn't like that at all :#) A quick pro-tip from me: Lenovo's onsite support is nowhere near as good as it is marketed, and their logistics are bad too!

I have to check whether I have some exemplary pictures online at my SmugMug site, otherwise I will postpone the example images until my precious photo laptop is back in my hands. Anyway, I'll go ahead and create the challenge post this evening after work.

Thank you all for your patience and also the kind words about my winning image :smiley:

Wise words from the Dog of Wisdom: If your ball is too big for your mouth, it's not yours.

I'm here to learn and progress. Honest feedback and criticism on my images is warmly appreciated!

My SmugMug site - kurzvorzwoelf.com

no worries @kurzvorzwoelf , sounds like a good plan. Bummer about the customer service and having to be without your computer. However, am glad that you are indeed getting it back soon!