Options

kayaking and photography

MJoliatMJoliat Registered Users Posts: 34 Big grins

Hi, I'm considering getting a kayak and would like to pick the brains of all you photographers that do photography from a kayak. First, I'm in Ohio and would be mostly doing it in rivers, ponds and small lakes. I have experience in canoes, but not kayaks. I've just started looking at kayaks, and I think the sit on top kind look like they would be pretty stable. I don't really know for sure. I would be by myself so I would need to be able to get them on and off my truck (Colorado) by myself, but I'm in relatively good shape. I was just wondering what popular opinion is, and what brand and size would be preferable. Any features you suggest to get?

Thanks for any insight and help!

Comments

• Options
    StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins

Its good idea as you get to areas that you otherwise wouldn't. Yes, the ones where you sit on top and have legs and arms free are ideal. You don't want one where your legs are all locked up and hard to turn around. You could then flip over. Wide ones where you sit on top with legs and arms free are best, as mentioned.

Which brand.....don't know....I just rent them......

Cheers.

• Options
    JonaBeth RussellJonaBeth Russell Registered Users Posts: 1,065 Major grins

What Taz said...get a sit on top, not a cockpit style. You'll be so glad you did. Also, keep your gear in a waterproof box, only pulling it out for shooting, then back into the box. I recommend Pelican brand, second to that is OtterBox.

Next thing is this: Water Safety is absolutely paramount. You might think it's just flat water kayaking, no big deal. But trust me, things can go nuts in a very short time, and usually in the moments when one least expects it. Coast Guard rules apply to all waters on the mainland, so be sure to have a PFD, whistle (not a gym style, you need one designed for water), and a light source. I always used weatherproof headlamps, and always carried two (like camera gear, one is none, two is one).

A fishing kayak is usually the best solution. They're designed to be quite stable, you can often stand up on them, and there's a lot to be said for an anchor system, preferably with a trolley, so you can control direction of drift.

• Options
    MJoliatMJoliat Registered Users Posts: 34 Big grins

Thanks for the comments from both of you! I definitely plan on a PFD, but I like the suggestion of an anchor and lights as well.

• Options
    JonaBeth RussellJonaBeth Russell Registered Users Posts: 1,065 Major grins

One more thing that will not only save your life, but save you from becoming frustrated enough to invent new cuss words....get a paddle leash. lol

• Options
    CountrylovingmammaCountrylovingmamma Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
    edited March 26, 2019
    Sorry for the double post my comment did not show as posted the first time.
  • Options
    CountrylovingmammaCountrylovingmamma Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
    Hello, so I don't do much photography from my kayaks just because I am a bit of a klutz and am always afraid of dropping my camera in the lake. I have done some photography from my kayaks though. I would say depending on what type of water you are on the most will really kind of decide what type of kayak is the most stable. I mostly go on lakes and flat water and have both a sit on top and sit in type kayaks. They both are useful and fun, but each have their ups and downs. Not all sit on top kayaks are more stable than sit in types, like some of the other posters said the sit on top types can give you more freedom to move around but most of them don't really offer a good safe place to keep your equipment when not in use also the sit on kinds really are only meant for flat water so if you plan on going on many rivers they may not be the best idea. The sit-in type may not offer as much freedom of movement but many of them do offer better places to keep your equipment when not in use also there are several types of sit in styles that can actually be quite stable.

My advice to you would go to the store preferably one that specializes in kayaks talk to the salesperson and let them know the types of waters you plan on going on and what you plan on doing while out on the water. They will be able to guide you to the best kayak for your needs. As for getting your kayak on and off your truck that is no big deal at all really. they are not all that heavy just kind of awkward some times. I have a Toyota Tacoma with a camper shell on the back that is built for off-roading, the camper shell has a kayak rack on it and I can load my kayaks up on top of my truck by my self no problem and I'm a smaller female. while you are at the kayak store talk to them about the different roof rack systems you can use on your truck. There are many different roof rack setup to choose from depending on your kayak, how many kayaks you plan on carrying etc...

I hope this helps a little.