Sky FIYAH! 🔥

JonaBeth RussellJonaBeth Russell Registered Users Posts: 1,065 Major grins

Peeked out the window at sunset, saw crazy red and pink in the clouds and had to send the little drone up for a look.

Comments

• sarasphotossarasphotos Registered Users Posts: 3,822 Major grins

Wow, stunnung colors!!!

• StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2019

JBR, colors nice, but too much dark blob at bottom. Will cut it right into the middle of that logo if mine. Also could have taken a separate exposure for fg to bring lights out tad more....but as it still okay.
    Will Cut it in middle of that E in JBR LIFE.

• JonaBeth RussellJonaBeth Russell Registered Users Posts: 1,065 Major grins

@Stumblebum said:
    JBR, colors nice, but too much dark blob at bottom. Will cut it right into the middle of that logo if mine. Also could have taken a separate exposure for fg to bring lights out tad more....but as it still okay.
    Will Cut it in middle of that E in JBR LIFE.

Great cropping advice, Taz, thanks! Now, time for a confession. I was in such a hurry to grab this shot, that I sent the drone up without removing the ND16. The noise in the lower area was AWFUL, which is why I went with darkening the scene. It was a hasty launch, and I paid for it with a grainy pic. lol. You're right though, had I gone full manual for exposing the darks, I'd have a much better image. The things we overlook in excitement sometimes....I'm guilty!

:smiley:

• JonaBeth RussellJonaBeth Russell Registered Users Posts: 1,065 Major grins

Another go

• StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins

JBR, this is sweet! Leave the dark areas dark....as you mentioned, it is underexposed and brightening will bring out noise....if you like you can crank up the whites/highlights through grad filter at very bottom just to make light more pronounced. In this crop the emphasis is more on sky....! Cheers!

• CornflakeCornflake Registered Users Posts: 3,346 Major grins

The cropped shot is lovely.

• bfluegiebfluegie Registered Users Posts: 736 Major grins

I have to agree with the cropping advice. The dark area at the bottom balances nicely with the violet area at the top to frame the fiery orange. It keeps drawing the eye back to the drama. I really didn't notice the violet at all in the original.

~~Barbara
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator

My eyes were drawn to the fiery sunset in the first shot anyway, so for me the crop is superfluous. But I'm weird like that.

• pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,694 moderator

I favor the second image with Tau's crop - great capture!

Wow!!

Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • shniksshniks Registered Users Posts: 945 Major grins

I really like the cropped version of the photo. Well done!